Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » BLACK MODELS?

BLACK MODELS?

So why is it that there are NO black models/entertainers that have truly Negroid features?? there was one, back in the 1980's I believe, whose name was Alek.....she had a full, round face and buzzcut hair.......then she disappeared.

so think about it.......AND I'M NOT BEING RACIST HERE, JUST ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION..

look at all our black female public figures; Beyonce, Rihanna. etc., etc.  lighten their skintone and they'd pass for white!!!!!

now you know it's true!!!

so,,,,,,,thoughts please, and no racial nonsense........this is just my observation and an honest question!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted - October 10, 2016

Responses

Hello ben:

What passes for beauty in our society is WHITE features.  But, that's gonna change as our demographics change.

excon
      October 10, 2016 8:30 AM MDT

Maybe in 1980.  That is so passe' ex. 

Vogue started using black models on their covers in 1970,   almost all the major entertainers in the singing field are black, all the major athletes are black and white people try to look BLACK all the time.  You are in the dark ages my friend. 

Black is IN. 
      October 10, 2016 8:43 AM MDT

yes, I'm well aware of all that!!!!!!!!   geeze!!! OF COURSE that happened; but to get back to my original point, look at these ladies!! black skin, pretty much Caucasian features, right? RIGHT??

That's what I meant........the no-Negroid features of these ladies........nothin' more   !!!!

not saying that black models were not being used...................
      October 13, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

I am mostly speculating here, but I think there are probably several factors which explain the observed phenomenon:

--"We've always done it this way." During the formative years of Mass Media Culture, African-American women were not on television, working as fashion models, etc. Hence, they are not part of the accepted "normal" for the older people who still make decisions about who gets to be on television, model clothing, etc.

--"Don't quit your day job."  Becoming a mass media celebrity often involves years of education and/or practice honing one's craft. Rich White People can afford to send their daughters to years of beauty pageants, Masters of Journalism programs, etc. Poor Black People Cannot.

--Mere Familiarity Effect. Rich White People in Mass Media Culture hang out with other Rich White People. Because they are more familiar with Rich White People, they perceive attractive Rich White People as more attractive than attractive non-Rich White People.

--"How dare you actually eat?"  Much of the fashion/celebrity culture is driven by the need for VERY skinny women (because clothing is perceived to look better when hanging off of stick figures). As a population average, African-American women tend to be bulkier, particularly in the hip/buttocks/thigh areas, which is not desired in the fashion world.

I'm sure we could think of others if we put our minds to it.
      October 11, 2016 8:38 AM MDT

well, you are pretty close to what I was saying, and I agree with you...our county is slowly becoming more 'brown' so to speak....and in time, the 'standards of beauty' will change....but slowly, and over a very long period of time.....
      October 13, 2016 8:12 AM MDT

Aren't Morgan Freeman and Samuel Jackson entertainers?
      October 10, 2016 8:40 AM MDT

Picking 2 out of thousands makes it sound worse.  There are TONS of black entertainers.
      October 10, 2016 8:44 AM MDT

I know...and many if not most of them have Negroid features. I was using them as an example to rebut the question.
      October 10, 2016 8:54 AM MDT

yes, but that has nothing to do with my original question.....I'm referring to black female models/celebrities......pretty much all of them are black, yes, but if you lightened their skintone, say with photoshop, they could almost pass for white........and that's all I meant........and no, I'm not a racist, just stating an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      October 13, 2016 8:11 AM MDT

OH BOY.......you people are not getting this question right.

OR.....maybe I worded it wrong!!

of course there are many black entertainers, and of course black models have been on magazine covers; we all know that!!!

What I am talking about is BLACK WOMEN IN THE FASHION WORLD AND EVEN ENTERTAINMENT ARE ALWAYS BLACK LADIES WHO, IF THEIR SKIN WERE LIGHTENED BY PHOTOSHOP OR WHATEVER IT'S CALLED, COULD PASS FOR WHITE!!!!!!

And that's all I was talking about....not that Morgan Freeman, et al are around.......men have nothing to do with my question.  

good grief!!  I thought I was posing a simple question and am getting replies that are way out in left field.

But thanks, those of you who replied.

Even though you were not 'answering' my question, I still got lots of input on the whole 'color' situation.

so.........

keep the replies coming!!!!!!!!
      October 11, 2016 8:04 AM MDT

Most of us here take questions literally. How are we supposed to know what you were thinking? We only answered what you asked.
      October 12, 2016 7:29 AM MDT

thanks!!!   you sound like a really nice person!!!.........but I still don't think my question merited the kind of replies I got (OH BOO HOO!! LOL) seriously, on another level it's good to see that SO many people are at least thinking about this!!!

but my original 'thing' is still valid.....in the fashion world, ONLY ONE BLACK MODEL WITH NEGROID FEATURES, NAME OF ALEK, NOW LONG GONE HAS BEEN IN THE PUBLIC EYE.........and I still say, lighten the skintone of fashion models who are black, as well as black singers, etc., and they will pretty much appear 'white'.

again, not racist, just stating my opinion...............

- sigh  -

so thanks again for the 'moral support'........
      October 13, 2016 8:07 AM MDT
  • D&D

I think you, like many people don't get it.

Africa is a continent with various nations and most importantly ethnicities / races. Black don't come in one (big as you'd know it) 'type'. Dinka and Kango are two of the many examples. And they look very different from each other.

"Africa has 3000 distinct ethnic groups, 2000 languages. Home to the most genetically diverse people on Earth. So diverse that two Africans are more genetically different from each other than a Chinese and a European are from each other. Africa is the world's second-largest and second-most-populous continent."

October 13, 2016 8:42 AM MDT

I understand what you are saying.......and I do realize the many different groups of blacks in Africa, etc.

it's like the old 'Chinese all look alike", when of course they DO NOT...........!!!!

but what I meant was that what we as the general public perceive of as 'negroid features' is missing in these black female celebrities!!

I've never been more misunderstood!!!  someone said that 'there've been black models on magazine covers since the 1970's' where have you been?"............UH, THAT'S NOT WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO.........

how can one question be taken so many different ways!?!?!?!?  amazes me...

anyway, I as I said, I understand where you are coming from, & you are right........but as I said, when we as whites think of 'black' ladies, we assume, right or wrong, a certain type of facial feature that makes them a black person.....

and now I feel like I"m painting myself into a corner............holy crap what a mess!!  LOL.

anyway, my ORIGINAL STATEMENT STILL STANDS...... there are NO prominent black female entertainers with truly 'black' or 'negroid' or however the heck you wanna describe it, features!!!

and once again, (AND THIS IS NOT BEING RACIST, JUST STATING A FACT!!!!)  if you lighten their skintones, (like with Photoshop) they could pass for white.

If I offended anyone with these statements, it was/is not my intent!!

I'M JUST TRYING TO MAKE A SIMPLE STATEMENT.

and now I"ll shut up!!!!!!!!!!!

November 11, 2016 8:08 AM MST