Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Question asked on TV. "Blacks are the ones being murdered. Whites are the ones who are terrified. Why?" Do YOU have an answer?

Question asked on TV. "Blacks are the ones being murdered. Whites are the ones who are terrified. Why?" Do YOU have an answer?

Posted - August 28, 2020

Responses

Because there is usually always error to be found on both sides when one is faced with extremism---regardless of the good intentions that may have given birth to the original movement.

Unfortunately, good intentions do not guarantee good results.

That's why CS Lewis observed that if he knew someone were on his way to his house with the express intention of doing him good, he would immediate flee out the back door to get away.
      August 28, 2020 3:42 PM MDT

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe? Or am I confusing him with someone else.

I find that deeply distrubing and very sad. Very cynical and dark. Fleeing from potential "good" to what?

I wonder how true that is though? I wonder how often authors say things that sound oh so profound but don't really mean them at all? Say he is "under the weather" and a friend or relative brings him "chicken soup". The intention is doing him good. Why on earth would he flee from that? It is a very dramatic statement to make and therefore suspect. Just my opinion tom. I can't KNOW but it surely makes no sense to me. Of course I am a plain wrap ordinary person. I was born to it. I shall ask a relevant question of course. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine. STAY SAFE! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 29, 2020 4:34 PM MDT
      August 29, 2020 2:11 AM MDT

Yes---one of the books in the Chronicles of Narnia.

Not really cynical at all---one of the greatest achievements of my life is to finally get my wife to realize that when I say "Please, don't help me" that I am deadly serious.

I am an only child; she is one of five.  I am used to---both by temperament and formal training---to seeing the result I want and mapping out the best plan to accomplishment that goal; and that means that I have accounted for all obstacles.

When she rush in to help, chances are great that she will try to move what she judges to be something I might trip over---and by moving that object, places it directly in my way with about a 95% success rate, thus requiring that I put down whatever I am moving and recalculate my path.

Suggestions are fine---especially hers---but I don't want someone else's solution to my unique problem to be imposed on me---unless, of course, I have sought that person's help.
      August 29, 2020 4:47 PM MDT

I read your reply twice tom. The first time frankly I thought it odd. But then I read it again more slowly the second time and do you know what? I've been there too so I do get what you mean. Sometimes my Jim who is super sweet and super kind and super thoughtful all the time gets in my way. A harsh thing to feel in response to him and I would never tell him that. I can tell you though and it's true. It's hard to be annoyed at good intentions but when they become an obstacle what do you do? You know what? Reading words on a page are one dimensional. How much of the words people write do they really mean and how many of them are for effect? Anyway okay. I get it. Thank you for explaining what you mean in a way I can relate to. I wonder do you ever get in your wife's way? Sometimes I get in Jim's way. I shall ask. What could it hurt? Everyone says so! Here goes.
      August 30, 2020 1:54 AM MDT

In the past, I have been frequently frustrated and sometimes slightly injured (nothing serious) as a result of her "help."

And I am extremely sensitive to making sure I stay out of her way unless asked to help or it is appropriate to volunteer.

On the other hand, I frequently tell her to stop doing what she is trying to do because I see a catastrophe in the making if she continues on her current path.

But she knows I'm just trying to take care of both of us physically---and she never takes it personally..

August 30, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

You know what I think helps a lot? When we are aware of and admit our shortcomings. We laugh about it and I'm the one who came up with this. "I do the breaking and Jim does the fixing". "If you want something DONE RIGHT give it to Jim. If you need it done fast give it to me." He is as close to a perfectionist as I've encountered. I mean that he EXPECTS things to function at their optimum and gets very annoyed when they don't. Me? I adapt accept work with whatever I get. It just  does not bother me and in fact oftentimes I don't notice it. If it almost nearly kinda gives me the result I want I'm happy. So you see I know why he gets frustrated about things I don't even notice and why sometimes I'm among the "things" that frustrate him. We are wired however we're wired. I think I'm happier than he is being as I am. He notices weeds right off the bat and sometimes can't get past them. Not me. Thank you for your informative reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine tom! :) STAY SAFE! This post was edited by RosieG at August 31, 2020 12:13 PM MDT
      August 31, 2020 2:08 AM MDT