Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you look up a word in the dictionary to check the definition do you stop at the first item listed or do you read ALL OF IT?

When you look up a word in the dictionary to check the definition do you stop at the first item listed or do you read ALL OF IT?

Very often many words have MULTIPLE meanings so you will often be wrong and not understand how a word is used or why if all you ever  do is stop reading after definition 1.

Are you thorough precise exacting or are you slapdash? Why?

Posted - August 31, 2020

Responses

Well of course I have to read all of it.  That’s over half the fun of looking it up in the first place. 

August 31, 2020 2:10 PM MDT

Precisely. Exactamundo! The dictionary is always open on a small table nearby. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee!:)
      September 1, 2020 1:41 AM MDT

I read the alternative definitions, and the etymology.
      August 31, 2020 3:54 PM MDT

You do? Then you KNEW DIPSTICK means fool/jerk too? Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      September 1, 2020 1:42 AM MDT

It's always a good idea to do so.

The following seven words have a total of 2,388 definitions among them:

Strike: 250 definitions
    Fall: 264 definitions
    Put: 268 definitions
    Turn: 288 definitions
    Get: 289 definitions
    Stand: 334 definitions
    Run: 645 definitions

https://www.insider.com/words-with-the-most-definitions-2019-1
      August 31, 2020 4:11 PM MDT

Oh my goodness tom for some reason I'm GIGGLING! Good grief and good golly miss molly! When I use a word I use it in a particular way for a specific reason. When someone calls me on it I invite them to read the definition in the dictionary and I will tell them which numbered definition they can go to find the specific way in which I INTEND IT. But honestly I don't always read the entire thing. So maybe now I should? The most recent word I was called on was DIPSTICK. I know it's a thing but it also means fool/jerk. Thank you for your reply and for the info. It is mindboggling how "run" can be used in 645 different ways. How long would that take I wonder to use it in its entirety? Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      September 1, 2020 1:39 AM MDT

No wonder communication can be difficult....
      September 1, 2020 11:12 AM MDT