Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly ONE IN EIGHT families in America are "FOOD INSECURE"! You mean hungry or starving don't you? Who comes up with this bilge?

Allegedly ONE IN EIGHT families in America are "FOOD INSECURE"! You mean hungry or starving don't you? Who comes up with this bilge?

Posted - September 3, 2020

Responses

Food insecurity: limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods or limited or uncertain ability to acquire acceptable foods in socially acceptable ways.

You could have a house full of junk food and not be hungry.  But be "food insecure" because the food is not the food a person needs to remain healthy. 
      September 3, 2020 10:59 AM MDT

I’m surprised it’s that low. 

One doesn’t have to be starving to be food insecure.  Food insecurity is defined as, "the disruption of nutritious food intake or eating patterns because of lack of money and other resources.” 

There are many people in this country who can’t afford to eat.  That sounds strange considering we’re the "land of plenty”.  However, thanks to high rent, healthcare and food costs coupled with stagnant wages and a rise in low paying jobs (many of which are part time only), it’s a reality.  Much of the “cheap” food out there isn’t very nutritious.  A box of mac and cheese may be cheap, but it’s not very nutritious.  The same goes for fast food.  Trying to raise a family of 3 AND pay rent AND drive a car AND pay the bills (electricity, water) on 2 minimum wage jobs isn’t easy.   What would happen if you lose one of those jobs (due to the virus perhaps)?  It may sound preposterous to those who have never been in that situation, but let me assure you, it DOES happen… and more often than you might think.  Do you ever wonder why there are Food Banks?  If everyone had or could afford food, there’d be no need for them.  Sadly, for some people food banks are their only source for food.

When we think of starving people, we usually envision people living in impoverished or war torn countries (Cambodia, India, Uganda, Congo).  Yet there are starving people right here in the US.   Jobs aren’t as abundant as our government “leaders” like to claim they are, and have become even less abundant thanks to the pandemic.  There are a lot of homeless people/families in this country.  Some are homeless and yet still have jobs.   Their “house” is a car or a box in the bushes.  They rely on food banks and welfare to survive.  Some even dumpster dive to get food to eat.  Many homeless people aren’t lazy or “mental”, they’re normal people just like you trying to survive on little to no income.  Some didn’t want to be homeless, but something happened that put them there (a lost job, unexpected medical bill, rent increase).  A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck.  If that gets disrupted, they’re screwed.  A good education has become so expensive that only the wealthy can afford it.  Lck of education usually equals having a low paying job.

Food insecurity isn’t “bilge”, its reality!  In this great land, it shouldn’t be, but it is.  Gone are the days of bountiful high paying jobs and retirement pensions.  They’ve been replaced by part-time minimum wage jobs.  The CEO’s make millions in salary and bonuses, while paying their employees mere pittance.   Welcome to today's America!

September 3, 2020 2:53 PM MDT

Why not call it what it is? HUNGER STARVATION. "Food insecurity" is absurd. An attempt to put lipstick on a pig isn't it? In California cars have lined up for food for seven hours. That isn't food insecurity. That is trying to stave off starvation. I am not a fan of fancy words Shuhak. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. This post was edited by RosieG at September 5, 2020 1:54 AM MDT
      September 4, 2020 1:57 AM MDT

I agree it does look like bureaucratic jargon. However, I think, and did so even before I read Shuhak's post, that it is intended to cover malnutrition as well as simple hunger.

Those Californians may well be on the verge of actual starvation but there may be many others who are not especially hungry but are on such limited diets they are liable to suffer from any of a variety of directly-resulting diseases as well as lowered resistance to infections. 

If I am right theirs is a much more insidious situation. They may feel sufficiently fed that they not need queue for hours at food banks, but are nevertheless not eating properly, and some might be unaware of the heath hazards they face.

Incidentally I heard a startling essay a few months back, on our (BBC) radio, by an American journalist who had studied the homeless situation in your country. This was before the pandemic, too. He found and described the largest homeless population in a single place, being in, of all places, Silicon Valley. The huge IT companies have attracted thousands to a fairly small region where house-building has not kept up with the companies' rapid growth, so many of these people are in quite well-paid work but cannot afford what accommodations is available, so are forced to sleep in their cars, tents and even all-night buses.  Are some of these people in the food-queues you describe, or is that in a very different part of the State?  
      September 4, 2020 2:58 PM MDT

I had not heard about that in the Silicon Valley Durdle. The lines of cars were in southern California. I think they are occurring everywhere though. As you California has a huge  population and we are in dire straights pumpkina** virus wise. We learn of people who had six-figure incomes who are now going to food pantries/food banks for food where they used to go to donate food. Seems hard to believe but it's been over six months that some have been without work and many people, even those who make "good" money, live paycheck to paycheck. Jim and I are fine. Retired. Our "kids" are grown and on their own and have jobs. Just the two of us and we aren't fancy dancy folks. We have everything we need. Millions are not that lucky. I cannot imagine what parents of young children are going through and I do feel such empathy for them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      September 5, 2020 2:00 AM MDT

I am retired too so not as affected as those still employed.

The UK's "furlough scheme" to pay special benefits to people hopefully-temporarily out of work due to the lockdown, ends fairly soon. Some are now back at work, in one way or another, but large areas of trade have been hit very hard.

Well, everyone knew the furloughing would have to eventually but of course this pandemic's course and effects have been so hard to predict that we still can't be sure what will happen over the next few months.

I think a lot of countries are going to be in a deep depression, with long-term effects yet to arise or be clear.   
      September 5, 2020 2:04 PM MDT

I totally agree with thee Durdle. I fear the worst is yet to come. And perhaps the "best" will never come our way again. At least not in my lifetime. It is grim road ahead at best. But it is what it is right? All we can do is speak up and tell it like we see it. Speak up. Stand up. Not turn away and ignore it. Be counted. Try to matter. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 6, 2020 4:17 AM MDT

Ah, I see what you mean. 

Saying that someone is starving sounds harsh (after all, starvation only happens in third world countries).  The word “starving” has an urgent sound to it.  These days, people only think things are urgent if they are happening to them.  “That person’s starving; ‘we’ need to take care of it right now!  However, by renaming staving as “food insecure”, it no longer sounds as serious.  If it’s not serious, then there’s no urgency to rectify it.  What’s really happened, is that by calling it “food insecure”, people have justified themselves of not having to do something about it.  “Let the churches or the government take care of it.  That’s their job.”

September 4, 2020 3:06 PM MDT

Imagine the heartache of a parent whose children say "I'm hungry"? It must be like a knife through the heart and I feel so sorry for all of those who are jobless with children. How they are coping I cannot imagine. Of course the parents will defer to the children and give them food if available which means the parents are denying themselves. That is what good parents do. Take care of their children FIRST LAST AND ALWAYS. It's not a good time for them. I wonder how long the nightmare will last for them? We look on from a distance. Right now we are fine all things considered. But what happens tomorrow? Until we get rid of the dipsh** losers and suckers we are all at risk. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      September 5, 2020 2:04 AM MDT