Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you a fancy word packager? Do you say "intellectually challenged" when you mean STUPID? "Plain" when you mean UGLY?

Are you a fancy word packager? Do you say "intellectually challenged" when you mean STUPID? "Plain" when you mean UGLY?

Do you call a spade a spade or a "gardening tool"?

How does fancy wrapping enhance, make better?

Posted - September 5, 2020

Responses

Uh… no.  I call ‘em like I see ‘em.   I am definitely NOT “pc”!!  (although I do try to be “nice” about it).
    I call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel (there is a difference).   An idiot is an idiot is an idiot.  They’re not “scholarly diminished” or “information challenged”, they're an idiot!.

(Incidentally, George Carlin did a great bit on this very topic.)

September 5, 2020 4:07 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak. Sallyannconway was very glib apologizing for the dipstick loser sucker. Fluent thoughtful insincere. Mostly she was a very quick liar and that's what is needed by dipstick loser sucker boy. I just wonder why some go out of their way to "indicate" "allude" "imply" rather than coming right out and telling it like it is? Fear? Happy Sunday! :)
      September 6, 2020 1:41 AM MDT

They allude because if they say outright, then they’re responsible (committed).    Allusions can be easily twisted to get the speaker out of trouble.

September 6, 2020 12:47 PM MDT

So when they indulge that way they give themselves WIGGLE ROOM. That makes sense. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      September 7, 2020 2:09 AM MDT

Wiggle room .... my mom alway used that phrase.  :) 
      September 7, 2020 11:09 AM MDT

I use that a lot in different ways. I like to wear clothes that give me wiggle room. I don't like skin tight. I prefer driving on roads that aren't jampack crowded so I have some "wiggle orom" to maneuver. I cannot bear sitting in the middle of an auditorium surrounded by people with no wiggle room. I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before. When I'd go to such a place I'd sit on the side in back near an exit. Lots of wiggle room.  I believe you said you do the same thing. I need wiggle room to breathe! Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I'm going to ask. This post was edited by RosieG at September 9, 2020 5:02 PM MDT
      September 8, 2020 3:44 AM MDT

I like to think I have and use a reasonably wide vocabulary, but I use plain, simple language normally, and technical terms appropriately. I may use otherwise-needlessly flowery words or phrases on occasions for particular effects but otherwise, call a spade a spade!

I don't know how that clause arose but have seen a suggestion that it was inspired by some official writing "agrarian manual instrument" in some document or other.

That word plain by the way, in British English, means just that - straightforward, unadorned, ordinary, unremarkable. It does not normally mean "ugly", though calling someone "plain-looking" might still be derogatory.  

As an example of using technical terms properly, not as mere jargon, in past years as a laboratory assistant I would sometimes be asked to arrange test-pieces in an accurately-spaced row. The particular engineering terms are simply, "at x pitch", or "at x centres", where x is that constant spacing in a regular pattern. I could never persuade the scientists I was helping, to use that simple term instead of their clumsy, "at x centre-to-centre distance"!

I think the worst fancy-package types are modern business managers, with such twaddle as "identifying a requirement for" [the word 'need' perhaps?], "thinking outside the box" and "mission statements". Sports commentators and pundits merely use long words to try to sound clever in their usual bland, semi-illiterate, statements of the obvious or speculation. Politicians are usually just propagandists! Celebrities tend to pretensions of, like, illiteracy, like.

The best public speakers, I think, include senior judges and high-ranking military officers; as a result of their professional speaking. Judges have to explain or give instructions on legal matters normally outside the knowledge and experience of defendants, plaintiffs, witnesses and jurors from very wide-ranging backgrounds, education, etc. Senior military officers have appropriately-knowledgeable subordinates but still have to convey information and orders clearly, concisely and accurately, and in action, to do so under considerable stress and difficulty.  

Despite the ones I knew, of whom some were far better at hard sums than simple English, many professional scientists now recognise they need explain their work so that lay-people can understand and appreciate it. Indeed, that skill has become something of an academic speciality itself; teaching scientists, statisticians and their ilk to convey difficult subjects clearly. 
      September 5, 2020 4:16 PM MDT

I like to use fancy dancy words because they get attention. When there are none that suit me I create my own.  I leave it to others to figure what I mean. But mostly I like plain straight talk. I don't beat around the bush or talk around a subject. If someone lies I say LIAR. For a long time the TV folks backed off from that. They'd say "exaggerated" or "misspoke" or "enhanced". There is nothing wrong with the 4 letter word. LIAR. There is no way you can make its meaning better or clearer by dolling it up and "softening" it and be ever so delicate when you ALLUDE to it! One of the greatest contributions from the conway dame was when she "explained" lies by saying it was an "alternate reality" or something. Alternate reality. Sounds special and smart doesn't it? But now that encompasses the dipstick loser sucker and all his toady sycophants and all the adoring worshippers. They do not live in the REAL world. They live in a world of alternate reality. So whatever they so/do is perfectly okay. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful analysis of the subject Durdle. I wonder if she had thought that up before and just used it when needed or if she just did an ad lib it at the time? She is/was very glib. That is what the dipstick sucker loser requires. GLIB (LIAR).
      September 6, 2020 1:36 AM MDT

Around the time of the first Iraq War and the so-called "Iraqi Supergun Affair", one British minister came up with "Economical with the truth".

I seem to recall never hearing "alternate reality" before the last US Presidential Election. Apart from muddling alternate (verb) and alternative (adjective), I think it was one of those spur-of-the-moment phrases that emphasise their original points when first said, but soon become mere clichés.

"Liar" is a word many fight shy of.

It is formally abjured in the UK's Parliament to keep control when passions run high. Fortunately most MPs' statements that are wrong in fact, are genuine errors or honest opinions.  Very few lie, perhaps knowing that they will be caught out eventually. The real deceivers and dissemblers they encounter at work are some of the business types and bureaucrats interrogated by Parliamentary Select Committees. These are cross-Party inquiry groups of MPs who are polite and civilised but very sharp and analytical, stand no nonsense including fancy jargon, and soon spot attempts at deception or concealment. (Presumably why Mark Zuckerburger refused to appear before one such Committee.)

September 7, 2020 11:52 AM MDT

Well if you say something that is untrue but BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE you are not a liar. You are just ignorant or misinformed. A LIAR always knows what the truth is so a LIE is premeditated and planned to deceive. But I can see why calling someone a LIAR presumes knowledge that the accuser may not have.

There are some things that seem so OBVIOUS to all of us that when someone contradicts it we cannot believe it is done innocently. Also and importantly some things SEEM TO BE TRUE AT THE TIME but later we find out it didn't happen the way it was described so we adjust our thinking. Of course when you deal with congenital liars you don't believe a thing they say. Could some of what they say be true? I suppose. But mostly they are wired to lie about everything all the time to keep you unbalanced and in the dark. Some lies are so preposterous and absurd that it boggles the mind to think that anyone could believe them. I'm mind boggled daily by these cretins. Thank you for your reply Durdle. The dipstick regularly calls TRUTHTELLERS liars. What else can he do when he is shown to be what he is? :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 9, 2020 4:29 PM MDT
      September 8, 2020 2:20 AM MDT