Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Politicians make promises all the time WITH NO INTENTION OF KEEPING THEM. Do you too?

Politicians make promises all the time WITH NO INTENTION OF KEEPING THEM. Do you too?

Posted - September 5, 2020

Responses

Politicians make promises in order to get elected and reelected.  Tell the people what they want to hear and they will vote for you.   It doesn’t matter that the promises clash (for and against the same issue), just as long as they get elected.  They can always say later that they “tried” to fulfill the promise, but something or someone else “prevented them”.   By placing so-called “blame” elsewhere, they can justify their lie (if one can justify a lie - even by telling another lie – then technically it wasn’t a lie).  Despite what some people may say, it’s impossible to be a politician and have integrity.

As for me, I strive to have integrity.  If I make a promise, I will do my best to keep it – even if it means sacrifice on my part.  I don’t claim to be perfect (I’ve told many lies in my life), but I try.

September 5, 2020 3:54 PM MDT

I back away from any situation where someone expects me to PROMISE anything. You can't know what the future will bring so promising based on today is foolish in my opinion. Of course you can say "I will try my best" but "I PROMISE"? Not my cuppa tea. I cannot foresee the future. If I could then I could promise. But since I can't I don't. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak! :)
      September 6, 2020 1:50 AM MDT

I too try not to promise anything.  Promises are easy to make, but often are very costly to keep.  However, if I do tell someone I will do something (such as, “I will help you move”, or, “I will pick you up and take you to work”), I will do it. 

September 6, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

Me too Shuhak. I am very stingy with making promises. Sometimes life gets in the way of keeping them. Sometimes things change and keeping a promise under those circumstances is fake phony absurd. So I minimize. I say "I will TRY". And then I do TRY but I don't kick myself if I fail. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 7, 2020 2:23 AM MDT