Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you a nocturnal or a diurnal? What exactly determines if you are nightcrawler or a daytripper? Can you switch from one to the other?

Are you a nocturnal or a diurnal? What exactly determines if you are nightcrawler or a daytripper? Can you switch from one to the other?

Posted - September 7, 2020

Responses

I used to be nocturnal, but these days, I'm lucky to stay awake until 10:30 PM.  I don't know if this is because of the virus (so many more hours awake and at home) that I'm just bored or if it's an age thing.  I also find myself waking up around 5-530 AM.  
      September 7, 2020 7:03 AM MDT

We go to bed around 7pm..no joke. And wake up around midnight or maybe sometimes a bit later. But in the afternoons we "snooze" or "nap" or "rest our eyes". Our regimen has been irregular for years. When I had the cancer surgery in January 2008 it disrupted my sleep patterns significantly. I'd wake up and get up and quietly putz around and get on the computer and then Jim started getting up with me. It's he** when we have had company stay over in the past. It's hard on them and harder on us. Our bodies are now geared to a very different schedule than when we were working. We have no choice. So we just go with it. I'm usually on the computer from midnight and then by early-mid morning I'm gone for the rest of the day. I do multi-tasking of course while I'm on. Thank you for your reply L. :)
      September 10, 2020 5:55 AM MDT

I sort of wondered why you are posting in what is my middle of the night. :)  Now I know.  Since I've been working from home, my sleep schedule is all over the place.  Sometimes, I nap other days I just go to sleep earlier.  
      September 10, 2020 11:29 AM MDT

Now you know honey. My sweet Jim got more than he bargained for but we make it work. I mean I do laundry and run the dishwasher and do other chores when it's cooler and don't run up the electricity during peak times. We have a sort of breakfast around 1am or so with our coffee. Then our main meal is around 9am or 10! We have a mid-afternoon light something about 3:30 pm. It's just the routine we've developed and it works for us. We are a very good fit when it comes to things like that and superduper nutritious foods is important to both of us! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      September 10, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

All that matters is that it works for the two of you.  :)
      September 11, 2020 9:17 AM MDT

It does unless we have guests staying over and then well it's hard! That won't happen for a long time so it's moot! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      September 11, 2020 10:17 AM MDT

I see the problem. :)
      September 11, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

We talked to our daughter-in-law who lives in Buckeye, Arizona. Her daughter and family live in the wilds of Oregon. They are packed and ready to evacuate at a moment's notice but so far have not had to do so. Anyway she is about 240 miles away so a trip to visit is doable. When she can and California is more open and things are more "normal" and settled she plans to visit for a couple of days. She knows our pattern so there's no problem having to pretend with her. She has a new puppy she'd bring with her. You know we lost our cat Tigger a few years ago. If it weren't for our ages we'd have gotten another pet. We just think it wouldn't be fair to the pet and also we're not as spry as we used to be. Though a cat takes less effort than a dog. You don't have to walk a cat twice a day. Anyway it will be nice to have an adorable cuddly animal visit too! Thank you for your reply L.! :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 12, 2020 9:30 AM MDT
      September 12, 2020 5:03 AM MDT

I'm sure you're looking forward to their visit and the puppy, too.  I can't wait until I'm completely retired so I can get a dog when I move down to PA.  I'll get a rescue and at that point, I would consider an little older dog rather than a puppy.  
      September 12, 2020 9:32 AM MDT