Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Are the posts from the Adult groups supposed to show up on the main Q&A page?

Are the posts from the Adult groups supposed to show up on the main Q&A page?

I just saw a post from the Cross-dressers group on the main page. Is this supposed to happen? 

Posted - October 11, 2016

Responses

Really? I don't see it, did I miss it?
      October 11, 2016 3:26 AM MDT

• It's right there in the main section for all to see.
      October 11, 2016 3:32 AM MDT

You shouldn't have seen it, Luna. You're not in the adult network. If you did, please shoot me a message so I can look into it.
      October 11, 2016 3:45 AM MDT

oh I definitely do not see it :)
      October 11, 2016 7:27 AM MDT

I don't get any Adult Network questions inside the main Q&A section. I've set up my feed to show some of the groups I've entered inside the Adult Network though, but they will only be visible on my own feed.

This said, I think it will be more effective taking a screenshot and send it to JA for her to look into, rather than asking a question about the issue here. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 11, 2016 3:30 AM MDT
      October 11, 2016 3:28 AM MDT

• This is it
      October 11, 2016 3:31 AM MDT

This will be your news feed. Again, I think you should report it directly to JA, or use the feedback link at the left of your screen. :-)
      October 11, 2016 3:33 AM MDT

You're a member of the adult network, so yes. If you prefer, you can hide activity from certain members on your feed or you can leave the adult network and not see those updates at all.

October 11, 2016 3:42 AM MDT

• I haven't joined any of the groups, just the network. I can't see where to un-join. I sometimes log on here from work and don't want that on my feed. 
      October 11, 2016 4:26 AM MDT

You can leave the Adult Network the same place where we sign up. Here is a link: http://www.answermug.com/members/settings/network
      October 11, 2016 4:33 AM MDT

• Thanks. I didn't realize that just by joining the network, but not joining any groups would allow that content to show on my feed. It really sucks that it's set up that way because it no longer makes it work friendly. What a shame. 
      October 11, 2016 4:39 AM MDT

To be honest with you, I don't suspect that one post presented like in the screenshot will make any difference if caught while at work. Then again, I can't judge your situation.

I don't know how difficult it will be to program a feature in the feeds where groups could be blocked just like persons. But you could suggest JA to add it on her list. Maybe it will come one of the days. :-)
      October 11, 2016 5:22 AM MDT

• I don't always go to the adult section, that's just a once in a while thing.  I don't want to see things from all the groups there and didn't realize that's what would happen by joining the network. I'm not a prude by any means, but some of those groups are not things I'm interested in seeing what so ever, and I sure don't want them showing up on my work computer. It's already bad enough that a LOT of the regular questions are adult oriented, along with some of the language used. I used to not worry about logging on at work, now it's a different story all together. I think the list of things that need fixing is already long enough. I'll just take this as a lesson learned and stay away from all the groups. 
      October 11, 2016 5:30 AM MDT

I don't see the stuff you see, or I don't notice it. Maybe I'm one of those you perceive posting adult inspired questions. But my experience will be, that if you find stuff that is crossing your line, it most likely will be the same members all the time. It's really simple to block these members posts to be shown in your news feed. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 11, 2016 5:48 AM MDT
      October 11, 2016 5:46 AM MDT

• I don't want to start blocking people. Some of the language has been from members I actually like. One question had the word p*ssy in it, without the asterisk in it. I'm just disappointed that things have come to this. And blocking a member doesn't stop you from seeing others responses to their questions, so what's the point? 
      October 11, 2016 5:59 AM MDT

The site operates with no blocking option for other members, as I'm sure you are familiar with. 

The option given is to block posts made by individual members not showing up inside your news feed. I guess that's the issue we are talking about, no?

*Btw, if the word p*ssy has been used inside the main room it still will be against ToS. Just like in the days where you were a mod, it needs to be reported and it will be changed or the post taken down. Nothing has changed, but the mods do still not cover every single post made on this site. They do depend on us, the members to report stuff that is outside ToS. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 11, 2016 2:00 PM MDT
      October 11, 2016 6:09 AM MDT

• When your friends reply to someone you've blocked, that will show on your news feed. That being the case, the blocking option is ineffectual and pointless. Like I said, I'm not a prude, I enjoy a good adult conversation sometimes, but there are groups in the adult section that take things beyond my comfort level and I don't care to see them. Seeing posts from groups you haven't joined is not how things should work. I used to go to the adult section of the old Mug once in a while and would answer a question or two.....that doesn't mean I want to see posts from the fetish groups. None of the adult content showed up on me feed on the old site, so i guess I wrongly assumed it would be the same here.  
      October 11, 2016 6:19 AM MDT

I'm not aware if a reply from a friend will show if you blocked the OP. Again, my suggestions are related to what you CAN do and not what to wish for. The latter I already suggested you to mention to JA. I know she has been open for input. Some of it is easy to implement, others not. Some makes sense, others not. I wish you a happy surfing anyway. I don't think we get any further; our exchange of comments seems going in circles.
      October 11, 2016 6:24 AM MDT

Just clarifying here.
    1) The crossdressers group didn't used to be a "private" group, so it showed up on the main feed on our old site for everyone. I actually switched it here. So, you would have seen those posts on the activity feed before. Now, you don't unless you're part of the adult network.
    2) We do not offer a block. We have filters on our activity feed that let you choose what activity you  want to see from around the site. You can remove people and groups from it or you can build your own custom feed with perhaps Q&A and the groups you want to see in it. If you don't want to see certain things, it's super easy to hide them. I suggest using the FAQ section or the videos to learn more about filtering your feed if that's something you're interested in and adjusting the settings on your own doesn't give you the results you want. It's pretty intuitive, though.
      October 11, 2016 11:41 AM MDT

Actually, no. I tend to use primetime TV standards for guidance on what I do and don't block. By itself, "pussy" isn't a forbidden word and the latest question involved quoting a presidential candidate. If it was used in the context of sexually graphic content, I would remove it or if it was used as a derogatory term against another member, it would be pulled. 

Here's a cool Slate article about what gets censored on TV and why: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/09/30/since_when_can_you_say_vagina_on_tv_.html

I suppose if this makes the Mug unfriendly for work, you'd probably better start avoiding any news sites as well. The Trump stuff is everywhere.
      October 11, 2016 11:55 AM MDT

Oh. Thanks correcting this. It makes perfectly sense to me. I thought the word had been used in a graphic sentence the way it was presented by Karen. Sorry being a bit hasty without looking up the question referred to, and it truly would be more than difficult to have any talks about Trump and stay within ToS if you wouldn't use prime time TV standards. 
      October 11, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

• @SapphicHeart, I know you are doing all you can to be helpful, but please don't present a personal suspicion, as to what may be okay in the workplace if seen. If Karen doesn't like it there, then accept it as presented. The only part of your reply that makes any germane thought, is not judging and present it to JA.
    *edited to correct name spelling This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 11, 2016 3:05 PM MDT
      October 11, 2016 5:48 AM MDT

• Thank you. :)
      October 11, 2016 5:59 AM MDT

Like I said, I am not able to judge Karen's or any others situation. I can only talk on behalf of myself and how things are here, which I did; here it would not be an issue, IF private surfing is allowed inside the IT policies of the company you work for.

I don't force Karen, or anyone else to agree with my words. However, I won't either let you or others tell me how I can phrase myself as long as I stay inside ToS.

You are right about one thing, I am trying to help Karen to get her news feed set up to her pleases/wishes for a "safe surf". 
      October 11, 2016 6:05 AM MDT