Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Tropical Storm SALLY as in Conway? Geez the dipsh** peeps will go to any extreme to destroy us won't it/they/he/them/those bozos?

Tropical Storm SALLY as in Conway? Geez the dipsh** peeps will go to any extreme to destroy us won't it/they/he/them/those bozos?

Posted - September 14, 2020

Responses

It doesn’t quite work that way.  The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) picks out random names years in advance.  If a hurricane causes catastrophic damage, that name is retired and a new one is added (e.g. the name Katrina is retired).  Otherwise, the same names are used on a 7-year rotating basis.  Since there aren’t enough names that begin with the letters “Q”, “U,”, “X,”, “Y,” or “Z” to rotate every six years, they don't use names beginning with those letters.

If they run through all the names on the list in a given year, they will start naming storms after the Greek alphabet (alpha, beta, gamma, delta…).

Here’s a list of Atlantic hurricane names for the years 2020, 2021, and 2022 - 

2020 - Arthur, Bertha, Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gonzalo, Hanna, Isaias, Josephine, Kyle, Laura Marco Nana Omar, Paulette, 
    Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, Wilfred

2021 - Ana, Bill, Claudette, Danny, Elsa, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Julian, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda

2022 - Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Ian, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Martin, Nicole, Owen, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tobias, Virginie, Walter

At the end of 2020, all non-retired names from this year will make up the list for the 2026 hurricane season. Any retired letters will have a new name submitted.

This post was edited by Shuhak at September 15, 2020 12:52 PM MDT
      September 14, 2020 3:51 PM MDT

Thank you for your very informative reply Shuhak. Who does the naming? A computer program or possibly a dipsh** toady sycophant? The organization doesn't do anything right? Either a computer program or a human being does the picking. I wouldn't be surprised if the dipsh** sticks his nose in that and names the storms after Democrats. Would you? He sticks his proboscis in everything he can being as how he wants to control the world and eveyrthing/everyone therein! AARRGGHH! YUCK! ICK! sigh.
      September 15, 2020 2:40 AM MDT

Tropical cyclones, hurricanes/typhoons are not named after any particular person.  The names selected are those that are familiar to the people in each region.

September 15, 2020 12:15 PM MDT

So it's not like a punishment then...revenge retaliation tactic? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      September 17, 2020 4:08 AM MDT

NOAA's National Hurricane Center does not control the naming of tropical storms. Instead, there is a strict procedure established by the World Meteorological Organization. For Atlantic hurricanes, there is a list of male and female names which are used on a six-year rotation.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/storm-names.html#:~:text=NOAA's%20National%20Hurricane%20Center%20does,on%20a%20six%2Dyear%20rotation.
      September 18, 2020 1:10 PM MDT

Thank you for the info tom and the link. I've heard that this year we have had so many they will go to an alphabet name next. Is it GLOBAL WARMING that's doing that? I mean GLOBAL WARMING is setting lots of place on fire. SIGH. What events that are destructive have nothing to do with Global Warming? I"m gonna ask. :)
      September 19, 2020 3:14 AM MDT

Apparently we're using the Greek alphabet---Alpha and Beta are the next two names.
      September 19, 2020 12:42 PM MDT

Oh? Thank you tom. Well if we run out of that what next? Sanscrit? Hieroglyphics? How do you pronounce Hieroglyphics? Is it only ever written not spoken? I'll ask. Happy Sunday to thee and thine. This post was edited by RosieG at September 22, 2020 3:57 AM MDT
      September 20, 2020 7:40 AM MDT

https://www.google.com/search?q=pronunciation+of+hieroglyphics&oq=pronunciation+of+hier&aqs=chrome.3.0l2j69i57j0l5.8555j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 This post was edited by tom jackson at September 22, 2020 3:58 AM MDT
      September 21, 2020 3:03 PM MDT

Thank you for the lengthy link tom. Much appreciated. Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :)
      September 22, 2020 3:58 AM MDT

I'm not sure---Perhaps "Oh Sh*t #1" and "Oh Sh*t #2"......Oh Sh*t # "n"...etc.
      September 21, 2020 3:06 PM MDT

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Too funnee hunnee. I keep giggling. The unexpected I expect because I do not recall your ever giving me such a response. Laughter is the best medicine. Keep it up  please and thank you. It just tickles the heck /HE** outta me tom. Feels jolly good to giggle! Do you ever giggle? :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 23, 2020 7:56 PM MDT
      September 22, 2020 4:00 AM MDT

No, I always start at the "laugh" level-- at least two "Ha" s--although when I first watched Blue Collar Comedy Tour I laughed so long, I couldn't catch my breath.

Fortunately, I was able to stop myself. 
      September 23, 2020 8:01 PM MDT

I did it again! I just reread your reply and out it came. The giggles. Maybe it's a gender thing? Maybe gals giggle and guys don't? As for Blue Collar Comedy Tour I have never heard of it. I'll Google it and find out. It's painful when you can't stop laughing even when it hurts to keep doing so. Better that than cry. Always better. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)

I just Googled and know what? Before I got there when I read your reply and the words "blue collar" guess who came to mind? That redneck comedian Jeff Foxworthy. Then I Googled and well there we go. Jeff Foxworthy was among the other entertainers. Is he still around? He was very hilarious and made being a "Red Neck" a very okay thing to be. Thanks tom. This post was edited by RosieG at September 25, 2020 4:12 AM MDT
      September 24, 2020 1:46 AM MDT

All 4 of the comics were good.

Ron White's performance just pushed me over the edge.

Jeff Foxworthy is still around---born September 6, 1958 (age 62 years),

Given what quality of answer or comment is sometimes present on Q & A sites, I am seldom in a jovial mood after reading some of them and thus you don't get those "unexpected" answers from me frequently.

And I did have one guy I worked with for years before I retired in 2015 that had told me that I should be a comedian.  And another, after I ended an explanation with the comment, "You know how my mind works" replied: "NOBODY knows how your mind works."

September 24, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

I just giggled again! "NOBODY knows how your mind works". Thank you for your reply tom and I have a question to ask you specifically. Why do you engage with those whom you know will drive you bonkers? Why do you give them another whack at your logical common sense and honest conversation? You KNOW what you are going to get. See I'm not like you which we already discussed. I AVOID the predictable when I KNOW it will just annoy me. It's like talking to a brick wall. What's the point of it? I have lost a few great pals/friends who just could not walk away from dumb. They kept trying to enlighten and it never worked and they were attacked insulted and got irked and hit back and got BANNED. A thankless job methinks so why volunteer? Just wondering. I avoid the landmines and quicksand. On occasion I encounter new  homo saps who turn out to be one of THEM but once I get their number I never dial it again! This post was edited by RosieG at September 25, 2020 6:50 PM MDT
      September 25, 2020 4:18 AM MDT

• Please tell me you're kidding. There is a list for both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans published annually covering the entire alphabet from A to Z. Some of the names are of common usage, some are those that are rarely used and some are even made up. There have been a couple of storms bearing my name in my life time. They didn't have me in mind, but I'm honored just the same.
      September 15, 2020 12:31 PM MDT

Why are you honored by having a mindless destroyer of life and property named after you?---or am i missing something.
      September 15, 2020 12:37 PM MDT

:):):)
      September 17, 2020 4:08 AM MDT