Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Scientists discovered a way to reduce a person's biological age by 2.5 years. What happens if the technique gets used on a baby?

Scientists discovered a way to reduce a person's biological age by 2.5 years. What happens if the technique gets used on a baby?

Researchers found that a specific drug cocktail changes the genetic markers associated with aging by an average of 2.5 years per study participant. But, what would happen if the medications were given to someone under 2.5 years? 

Here's the story (and, yes, the science is legit, but in its infancy): https://www.livescience.com/reverse-aging-biological-clock-drug.html

Posted - September 14, 2020

Responses

Mix me that cocktail, please. 

~

September 14, 2020 3:59 PM MDT

I'll have a double. Interesting question about the baby. Give it to one and depending on its age, mom wouldn't have even been pregnant.
      September 14, 2020 5:10 PM MDT

(its his or her age)

Human beings are not to be referred to as “it”. Far too many people do that when discussing newborn babies, infants, toddlers and children, yet they don’t do it when discussing adults. I challenge them this question: if you think it’s appropriate to refer to babies as “it”, then what is the exact age at which “he” or “she” suddenly becomes the correct way to refer to someone?

September 14, 2020 7:10 PM MDT

My guess :

Parents get a do-over.

OR, baby gets 2.5 extra years on Social Security.

Maybe everybody wins!
      September 14, 2020 6:14 PM MDT

Unless the chemical tags begin forming in the DNA at birth, the baby would not have any to be removed. But if they are formed at birth then however many were formed would be completely removed. Of course, it would be possible that if there were very few or no chemical tags to remove that the hormomes and medicine mixture could damage the baby's healthy DNA. 

Interesting article. This post was edited by my2cents at September 15, 2020 4:34 AM MDT
      September 14, 2020 7:29 PM MDT