Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You don't have to be knowledgeable just honorable truthful talented patiotic or sane to be a president. Weird?

You don't have to be knowledgeable just honorable truthful talented patiotic or sane to be a president. Weird?

Why didn't the Founding Fathers think to cover that?

You need to be breathing, 35 and a "natural-born" homo sap.

You can be a crackpot wackadoodlenoodle MURDERER or PSYCOPATH or traitor working for a foreign enemy and you can still be president.

I think there is something very bigly wrong with that.

Posted - September 21, 2020

Responses

THAT was the reason for the Electoral College.
      September 21, 2020 10:20 AM MDT

Sorry Walt that does not compute. You think the folks in the Electoral College are SUPERIOR TO the people? I don't. I think they are squillier and easier to buy off. Strength is in the many not the few. My view. And if they feared disaster from the minicule requrements WHY DIDN'T THEY PROVIDE MORE BETTER? It wasn't the peple that srewed up. It was the white slave owning wealthy folks who thought they figgered all out and left a GAPING HOLE in the QUALITY of the individual. Blaming the people is what aristocrats do. Are you one of them or one of "US"?  Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 21, 2020 12:02 PM MDT

As I've said before, if one reads the Federalist Papers ... where the Founders debated the Consitution ... it's clear that the Electoral College was intended to be another "check and balance" in the government.  It was designed to be a "check" on the will of the People, to prevent them from making a "bad" choice in electing a President.

Also, there were not party tickets.  So PartyA candidate gets the most votes and is President.  PartyB candidate gets VP, because he had the second amount of votes.
      September 21, 2020 1:13 PM MDT

But the Electoral College makes bad choices all the time Walt. So whatever the goal was for setting it up it is a FAILURE. When we have failures why not fix them? I don't get it. Thank you for your reply. I have not read the Federalist Papers. I'm pretty I wouldn't be impressed with them either. :( This post was edited by RosieG at September 22, 2020 5:03 AM MDT
      September 22, 2020 5:02 AM MDT

That is because the Congress f
    Voted to cap the number in the House of Reps. This caps the EC as well. And as we get more people each EC vote represents more and more votes. 
      September 22, 2020 5:06 AM MDT