Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you tried acupuncture before?

Have you tried acupuncture before?

I'm really curious about it and whether it helped you in any way.

Posted - October 12, 2016

Responses

Yes, I have. I attended acupuncture therapy for just over a year, I believe they were bi-weekly or monthly (it's been a few years so I can't remember for sure). The licensed therapist was from Hong Kong and had lived in the United States for about half of her life.

My my purpose for trying it was constant pain in my shoulders and neck, caused by the dual impact of lifelong poor posture and working in an office with many hours at a desk in front of a computer.

As as for the effectiveness, I'd say overall it gets an A+ grade from me. In addition to the needles, she counseled my on ways to improve my posture and to alleviate the physical stresses of the work environment. She incorporated diet, exercise, sleep and herbal supplements in an all-encompassing way that really helped me.

My my wife attended also, but was never comfortable with the needles, so the therapist suggested hot rock massages for her. My wife loved it. I tried it too, but I preferred the needles. My wife stuck with the rocks and I stuck with the needles.

Just over a year into it, I began some new exercise regimens that replaced my need for acupuncture. I've been into running for about a decade, and I upped the time and distance I put into it weekly, I also began participating in organized racing events at a much higher rate. Additionally, I joined CrossFit. All in all, I exercise so much that I don't have those shoulder and neck problems any more.

~
      October 12, 2016 5:39 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing, Randy! 
      October 12, 2016 7:16 AM MDT

Yes ; I had it after my accident several years ago ... it did help ease the pain ... 
      October 15, 2016 11:45 PM MDT