Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Lower the age of voting to 16. Pro or Con? Why?

Lower the age of voting to 16. Pro or Con? Why?

How old do you have to be in your country to be allowed to vote?

Posted - September 27, 2020

Responses

Against.

16 is too young to make "adult" decisions ... as recognized by the fact they can't buy alcohol or tobacco, can't enter into legally-binding contracts, can't enter the military, can't legally quit school, and can't get married (without parental/court permission).

I know.  A lot of adults don't make good decisions, either.  But we recognize they are old enough that they should be able to.

If there were some reliable test for good decision making, I'd say open voting to everybody who passed - regardless of age.
    Heck, we can't currently even deny voting to people who have proven they have a history of bad decision making.
    EG: drunk driving, multiple divorces, drug abuse.
      September 27, 2020 8:53 AM MDT

We all assume that your years on earth somehow confers wisdom and that the young can't possibly be knowledgeable or wise. I know that isn't true at all. I thought you were on the same page. I shall ask. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Didn't a teenager win the Nobel Peace Prize? But I digress.
      September 27, 2020 10:20 AM MDT

As I said ... if there were a reliable test, I'd favor basing voting (and other decision restrictions) on that.
    Of course, that would also mean a lot of people over the age of 18 would lose their privileges for such things that are currently age-restricted.
    EG: Voting, alcohol sales, driving a vehicle, getting married, entering legal contracts, etc.

Of the hundreds of people I have known when they were 16 ... I would only give "adult" decisions to ONE of them.
    And no, that wouldn't have been myself.

Of course, I would also exempt anyone who is denied voting privileges from paying income/property taxes.
    If you can't legally vote, then you are being subjected to "taxation without representation".
      September 27, 2020 12:53 PM MDT

I have had the exact opposite experience Walt. My son and his friends. Many of whom if not ALL of them are intellectually at the "genius" level. Now maybe intelligence gives them an edge. Which brings up a question which I shall ask. I have encountered far more old fools and middle aged fools than I have encountered the young and foolish. I'm just lucky I guess. The "kids" who fight for and speak out about gun control and climate change are head and shoulders above the NRA gun toting bible adoring "adults". The "adults" who adoring worship the duck I discount entirely altogether about anything. If they can adoring worship that piece of crap they are not fit for anything. Just my opinion. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 28, 2020 2:28 AM MDT

I'm against it.  Most 16 year olds aren't able to make such decisions discriminately.  They're guided more by peer pressure then common sense (immature).  Now, I'm not saying that all 16 year olds are like this.  However, a majority are.  I'm also not saying that all adults (18+) are any better, rather that they (should) have a bit more "wisdom" behind them.
      September 27, 2020 3:16 PM MDT

I wonder how many duck adoring worshippers are 16 and how many are "adult"? My experience is that it is the young who are actively trying to change things. Speaking up and out against gun violence and climate change and racism! Compare them with the duck devotees. I rest my case. Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      September 28, 2020 2:30 AM MDT