Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Facebook suspends FAKE RUSSIAN ACCOUNTS". How do they know which are the fakes and which are the real deal?

"Facebook suspends FAKE RUSSIAN ACCOUNTS". How do they know which are the fakes and which are the real deal?

Posted - September 27, 2020

Responses

They probably don't.
      September 27, 2020 9:05 AM MDT

Then if they don't how do they decide which stay and which go? A toss of the coin? Thank you for your reply MD (is that a hint as to your profession?) and Happy Sunday to thee. :)
      September 27, 2020 10:04 AM MDT

@Rosie

Then if they don't how do they decide which stay and which go?

It depends who they personally like and who they personally hate.

PS "Mary Dreamilton" is not my real name, it's an online pseudonym. My real name begins with R (no, it's not Rosie). :)
      January 20, 2021 8:25 AM MST

Oh dear! Say it isn't so! FAVORITISM rears its ugly AGAIN? Sheesh. Well since Mary D is not your real name you are also an R I shall refer to you are R unless you prefer MD. Are you a doctor perchance?

My real name is Rosemarie G..... No online pseudonym for me. Not into deception of any kind though I guess some feel more secure with the fake names. Different strokes! Thank you for your reply MD or R and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      January 20, 2021 10:40 AM MST

No, I'm not a doctor, I work as a secretary for my bf (he's a nightclub owner). I use a fake name online because I got bullied on one or two other sites and I don't know if my tormentors are on this site or not.

Favouritism hasn't stopped rearing its ugly head since it was invented.

Happy Wednesday to you too, Rosie! :)
      January 27, 2021 11:06 AM MST

Condolences for the  terrible experiences on other internet social sites. No one ever bullies me. Know why? Once I identify and experience who people are and how they present themselves to me I simply ignore avoid and have no problem. Such losers can say whatever the heck they want and I don't care. It doesn't bother me one bit. I am never there to read it. I have had internet social site pals who left for that very reason which I never understood. No one drives me away. No one. When I ignore them they don't exist so what's the problem? But some folks are unable to ignore and avoid. I'm not sure why that is but I hope here you will not  be a target for such saps. I'm RosieG here and in my real life. It suits me. Thank you for your reply md and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      January 28, 2021 2:22 AM MST

If you don't use it how they wamt you to use it...They ask you to prove yourself.  FB asked my husband for proof...ie. Credit card info, valid DL.  He told them them where they could go l.  They closed his account.  

He only used his account to promote a business page. Posted nothing else. Did not worry about "friends" etc.   

I do the same but have lots of family on there as friends. 

Basically if you do not give them enough private info they do not want you on there. This post was edited by my2cents at September 29, 2020 4:58 AM MDT
      September 27, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

I think they should shut down all Russian accounts. And Iranian. And Chinese. And North Korea. (If there are any). Here's an even better solution. Shut down facebook, twitter, instagram etc.
      September 27, 2020 12:04 PM MDT

But not Answermug.

(I won't use Facetwitgram anyway.)
      September 28, 2020 5:19 PM MDT

Ditto! :)
      September 29, 2020 3:51 AM MDT

((hugs)) Hear hear hear m'dear! BRILLIANT solution to a vicious problem. Where do I sign the petition? Count me in. ALL IN! Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tueday to thee and thine. So much crap infects FB. Bots and lies and fake and phony and scams and cons and conspoirary theory wackaddodlenoodle deep state this and that. GIBBERISH which the mental defects accept as gospel. GO FIGGER! :(
      September 29, 2020 3:50 AM MDT

They can probably trace the message origins and use some form of pattern-analysis to separate genuine from bogus accounts. They might also be tipped off by the security services.

Whatever they do use is no doubt secret, for obvious reasons!

I don't know if whatever e-mail software you use will give you this feature, but mine offers a "View Source" option, and although it gives mostly a screenful of unintelligible alphanumeric characters and lines of commands, you can sometimes pick out the country of origin. There is more detail in there than that but I don't known enough about computing to see it. So it's very likely Facebook etc. have systems that can trawl through such information and identify the origins of everything posted.

They must do... so they can sell users' details to advertising-agencies etc.! 
      September 28, 2020 5:18 PM MDT

I wonder what the LIARS and SABOTEURS and TRAITORS would do if FB Twitter and all the snakepits of evil disappeared? Telephone? Telegraph? Mental telepathy? Millions of these gibberish believers gibberish spreaders gibberish intellectual microbes. If we could just rid ourselves of all of them. Send them all to live on a faraway island and never have to hear from them again. Let them intermarry and amuse one another with the gibberish. Boy I'd sure like that. SIGH. I know. How often do we get what we really really really really WANT? Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      September 29, 2020 3:55 AM MDT

They'd still be there, but would have to find other ways to meet and communicate, just as they did in the pre-FB time of the Waco siege and the Oklahoma bombing. They'd use telephones, letters, leaflets, adverts in gun magazines, meetings in person. 
      September 29, 2020 10:11 AM MDT

It would take much longer Durdle! The internet speeds things up dramatically. Not a good thing when the "things" are evil abominations. And so it goes. Progress in technology once again bites us in the a**! Thank you for your reply. Sad as he** ain't it? This post was edited by RosieG at September 29, 2020 4:27 PM MDT
      September 29, 2020 12:28 PM MDT

It would, yes, but the really determined ones would still manage it.

You consider them stupid, but never underestimate the enemy. Having stupid beliefs ruled by emotion is not the same as being stupid, and some of those people are well-organised, even cunning and manipulative. They are intelligent but warp their intellect to bad ends. So being banned from the Internet would be a problem to them but they'd find ways round it.

It may make recruiting more difficult, though.
      September 29, 2020 2:39 PM MDT

That does not compute Durdle. Not for my brain to comprehend m'dear. What you are saying may indeed be objectively true but for me people who believe in stupid people are stupid people. No intellect there. No intelligence. Ruled by HATE and FEAR where no intelligence can possibly live. Just my take on it. The hate overrides and cancels out intelligence. In fact I shall ask that question. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)
      September 30, 2020 2:57 AM MDT

They certainly allow themselves to be ruled by hate and fear, and most are foolish enough to believe any old rubbish that supports their prejudices.

The more organised of them though, the ones doing the ruling, work by manipulating people, and that needs intelligence.

Warped intelligence yes, but still intelligence, in the way fraudsters and money-launderers have to be intelligent enough to manipulate their victims and accounts in secret.
      September 30, 2020 11:38 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Durdle. Is it contagious? If you are exposed long enough to that kind of mindset does it become part of you? Isn't hate contagious? Fear too? Sigh. :(
      October 1, 2020 4:13 AM MDT

I hope it's not that contagious!

The world is full of very gullible and nervous people though, and some are easy prey for the fear-mongers and division-makers.

I learnt yesterday something I had not previously realised.

I've long called  Conspiracy-"theories", conspiracy-fantasies, but it seems many are based vaguely on real events or things whose real causes are not widely known; so they invent alleged causes. So perhaps they are hypotheses, but are very weak ones. Harmless example of this manner of thinking, often from sheer laziness and misplaced romanticism, are the so-called "Bermuda Triangle", the myths written about real things by Erik von Daniken, the Loch Ness Monster and for a while in 1980s Britain, a supposed "strategic reserve" of steam-locomotives hidden in military bases!  

What we are seeing now though, is a rise in barefaced lies for nakedly political ends  - conspiracy assertions that are not even hypotheses. They have no basis in fact or evidence, but are just invented to cause as much damage as possible. They work, in those who are infected by fear and prejudice, by the horribly simple fact that you cannot prove a negative. Unfortunately it is not just any opposing political movement that might be damaged by such assertions, even if that is the aim, but democratic (small 'd'!) society itself. Qanon's core ideas are in this category.
      October 1, 2020 2:37 PM MDT

When RACISTS decide the basis of what is right and what is not you know we are  in deep sh**! The duck is a white racist. His adoring worshippers are white racists though some may be people of color but they BETRAY their people. Why that is I will never understand. Logic and truth and value and worth do not exist in the world of the duck. POWER and GREED and HATE and FEAR. That is what he sells and he has millions of buyers of as it were. Intellectually deprived obviously. That is why his biggest base is old white uneducated men! They relate to him very bigly. He should be insulted but nothing insults him. Thank you for your reply Durdle. I wonder what happens next? We none of us expected this! POETIC JUSTICE? This post was edited by RosieG at October 2, 2020 11:43 AM MDT
      October 2, 2020 11:42 AM MDT