Active Now

DannyPetti
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do snipers use rifles because they have a longer range than runs? How much longer?

Do snipers use rifles because they have a longer range than runs? How much longer?

Posted - October 1, 2020

Responses

Longer range and greater accuracy, especially with a 'scope. Higher muzzle velocity equals longer range, coupled with the "rifling" effect which spins the bullet which also improves range and accuracy - less windage.
      October 1, 2020 6:31 AM MDT

The longer the barrel the longer the range R?  Thank you for your reply. I guess we never talked much about weaponry before except how smart Aussies were for taking care to react appropriately to gun massacres by confiscating and limiting the guns the citizens had access to. Do  Aussies hunt big game a lot or not so much? Is the best place for hunting in Africa? Thank you for your reply m'dear! Does Maureen know how to shoot? I never got why people skeet shoot...that's where you have a machine or human being throw up a clay something and the shooter aims for it? Is it mostly just for target practice or are there competitions for that alone? :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 1, 2020 12:54 PM MDT
      October 1, 2020 6:43 AM MDT

Skeet shooting is an Olympic sport.
    Few Aussies hunt, I did but I was only after little critters. Some go after bigger game - kangaroos, feral pigs, feral camels. I didn't like a gun with that much kick.
    Maureen was such a poor shot with a bb gun that she never attempted anything bigger.
      October 1, 2020 3:18 PM MDT

((hugs)) Not for you R. Please hug Maureen for me. She is my cuppa tea no doubt. My only experience with a gun I think I might have shared with you years ago on Answerbag. My dad worked nights. My mom was a nervous type and my sister was a 3-year-old. I was ten and one day my dad asked me to come into a bedroom. He shut the door and went into the closet and took off the shelf what I never knew was there. A handgun. He said he wanted to show me how to handle one. I told him I didn't want to touch it. He put it in my hand and I started crying hysterically. I was shaking. I have no idea where  ofthat came from but when he saw my reaction he said nothing.  He took the gun out of my hand, put it back on the closet shelf and gave me a hug and we went back into the living room. He never spoke of it again but I still remember how terrified I was. I mean guns are meant to kill living things. Geez I'm almost 83 and that memory will always haunt me. I felt so bad for my dad because he felt so bad. So you see I'm really not a gun person...water beebee skeet. None of the above! Thank you for your reply! :) Oh and Jim doesn't own a gun so we don't have one in the house. If he were a gun person would we be together? Geez I have no idea but maybe not. This post was edited by RosieG at October 2, 2020 3:17 AM MDT
      October 2, 2020 3:16 AM MDT

Skeet - or Clay Pigeon as it is called in the UK - Shooting is a sport of its own; but I believe it is also used by game-shooters as both an activity in its own right and to maintain their skills during the long closed season. The guns used for this are shot-guns, not rifles.

There are probably many clay-shooters who would never shoot at live animals as sport.

The clay disc is thrown into the air by a machine, which can send it to a much greater height and more controlled direction than a person could manage, and ensures no-one is in the way of stray and falling shot; but I don't know the details as I have never used a shot-gun. Or any fire-arm.
      October 1, 2020 3:22 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Durdle. I appreciate it. It seems pointless to me but then I'm not a gun person. Water pistols are annoying. Beebee guns can cause discomfort. Guns with bullets are meant to kill living things. Not my cuppa tea at any level.
      October 2, 2020 3:01 AM MDT

October 1, 2020 3:39 PM MDT

Thank you for the link. I appreciate it tom. I could Google everything but I am not interested ONLY IN the information. I am interested in what others think about it and the only way i can find that out is to ASK. Long ago on the only other site I ever joined...Answerbag...there was this guy who would reply to every questions I asked "GOOGLE IT". I tried to explain that if I were simply interested in information I would not waste time on an internet social site. No need. Feedback is what I'm here for and how I learn. Some folks are very good teachers. They do not talk down to you. They find ways to present the information so that you are able to absorb it. So while I do appreciate links I appreciate more what YOU have to say about what I ask. No harm done to explain myself to you I hope! :) I always learned best in class by the exchanging of opinions. I still do. This post was edited by RosieG at October 2, 2020 12:04 PM MDT
      October 2, 2020 3:05 AM MDT

Nothing wrong with that approach, Rosie.

For me, if I am going to provide information, I like to know what I am talking about.  I used to hunt, but I haven't owned rifle or shotgun since I was in my early twenties.  (I do have the original Colt 45 style 22 caliber pistol that I had a holster made for as a teenager and used to practice my fast draw--and I got good enough for others to watch me when I shot.)

But I never was specifically interested in ballistics (the science of projectiles and firearms)---and while one learns the general principles when studying physics, it would be a significant amount of work for me to generate a meaningful reply about the technical issues involved when better and more comprehensive explanations are available online.  

I always try to provide at least some input for your questions.  Sometimes it may just be a referral like this one was...

But I'll keep in mind that you are curious about what other people think, and I'll try an offer my best guess when I feel comfortable doing so.

Regards  
      October 2, 2020 12:21 PM MDT

Well there it is! I explain and you react and we are comfy in our positions though our approach to things may be a little different. Isn't that why we discuss what we think with others? So they KNOW where we are coming from? Sometimes in doing that we find we are coming from the exact same place. Sometimes not. But in any case I think it shows respect to others to give a listen even if the format isn't your cuppa tea! Thank you for your reply tom! And my regards right backatcha and also to your family. All are doing very well I hope! :)
      October 2, 2020 1:02 PM MDT

Yes we're in good shape---hope yours is doing well also.
      October 2, 2020 1:09 PM MDT

Yes. We're in the very high risk group but we are doing THE RIGHT THING (we discussed that already this morning...thee and me) and so far so good! May it continue for you and me and everyone! Fingers crossed! Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      October 2, 2020 1:18 PM MDT