Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Are you one of those AnswerMug members who has apparently decided that this place is the hill on which you will die?* ~

Are you one of those AnswerMug members who has apparently decided that this place is the hill on which you will die?* ~

*”The hill you want to die on describes something so important to you that you are willing to fight to the death to accomplish it. Often, the idiom the hill you want to die on is used when describing something that will make or break one’s reputation, or result in either glory or ignominy. The phrase is often used in a question: Is this the hill you want to die on? This question may be considered a warning that taking a certain stance will probably result in defeat of one sort or another. The idiom the hill you want to die on is derived from a military term. Fighting to take the position of a hill from an enemy is nearly impossible and results in mass casualties. One must be sure that the hill is worth the cost of taking it.”

DISCLAIMERS: I cut and pasted the above description from a randomly-selected website, I have not altered its wording and am therefore not responsible for the use of a preposition at the end of the idiom/phrase, LOL. 
  Also, I don’t entirely agree that the reference to the origin of the idiom/phrase being military in nature, unless the “military” in question is that of Native American customs in which a warrior decided that he had reached his time and place to fight his final battle.
  Anyway, this post is actually in jest to a certain extent, so please don’t take it any more seriously than it is meant. If you chose to respond and you want to do so in a serious manner, that is fine, or if you want to joke around with it, that is also fine. 

Posted - October 4, 2020

Responses

'that is gone'? Randy, do I have to keep reminding you about proofreading before you post?
      October 4, 2020 9:09 PM MDT

LOL, you’re right, you’re right.  Thank you, I have edited it.

~

October 4, 2020 10:52 PM MDT

You lost me at "Are you one". (SQUIRREL!)
      October 4, 2020 9:42 PM MDT

October 4, 2020 10:52 PM MDT

You’re losing it.
      October 5, 2020 5:53 AM MDT

There you go again with all your thought-provoking statements.  
      October 5, 2020 7:55 AM MDT