Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A mug friend informs me that both Israeli and Palestinian children are taught to HATE and FEAR each other by their parents. CHILD ABUSE?

A mug friend informs me that both Israeli and Palestinian children are taught to HATE and FEAR each other by their parents. CHILD ABUSE?

Normal children of normal parents grow up getting along with the other kids in the neighborhood.

Israel and Palentian parents force their children to fear and hate early in their lives?

How is that a good thing? That is a disgusting terrible awful horrible vicious cruel and evil thing. SHAME ON THEM! ALL OF THEM. SHAME.

Posted - October 7, 2020

Responses

I vaguely recall a court case, here in the US some time ago, where the state tried to take children from racist parents - claiming teaching racism was child abuse.  The court ruled against the state, along the lines of it didn't want to start down the slippery slope of deciding what parents could and couldn't teach their kids.

There's a song in the musical South Pacific called "You've got to be carefully taught":

You've got to be taught
    To hate
    And fear
    You've got to be taught
    From year
    To year
    Its got to
    Be drummed in your dear little ear
    You've got to
    Be carefully
    Taught
    You've got to be taught
    To be
    Afraid
    Of people
    Who's eyes are oddly made
    And people who's skin is a different shade
    You've got to
    Be carefuly
    Taught
    You've got to be taught
    Before it's too late
    Before you are six
    Or seven
    Or eight
    To hate all the people
    Your relatives hate
    You've got to
    Be carefully taught
    You've got to
    Be carefully taught
      October 7, 2020 7:38 AM MDT

I have mentioned that song more than once while here m'dear. It is among my most favorite. The truth of the words cut and always draws blood. Why parent want to mutilate their children that I do not know. So the state says don't get involved if you are cruel to the mind? Just don't beat your children to death? Is that where te line is drawn? You can use your kids for footballs and always kick a winning goal but just don't rape or murder them. You can do whatever you to mutilate their minds. It is you right as a parent. Right. Here goes a queston this. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)
      October 7, 2020 7:51 AM MDT

Depends on which "state" you're talking about.
    The state (child services) said teaching racism was "child abuse"
    The state (court) said "maybe, but we don't want to start down that slope".
    The state (legislature) could have then passed a law making it so ... but didn't.

It not only raises the question of "what is abuse" vs "freedom of speech" ... but also "thought police" vs "taught behavior".
      October 7, 2020 8:07 AM MDT

In what universe is teaching children to HATE a group of people considered to be a GOOD thing to do Walt? Seriously? RACIST mindset helps whom to grow into a better version of homo saps? We don't want to start down the slope of no longer teaching children to be racists? Does that make any sense to you at all? Thank you for your reply. The pretzeling of morality to accommodate cruel and inhuman treatment never ceases to amaze me. Not in a good way. :( I like that. i shall now ask it. This post was edited by RosieG at October 7, 2020 8:12 AM MDT
      October 7, 2020 8:11 AM MDT

The court was basically looking at ... okay, racism is a bad thing - but does it meet the legal definition of "child abuse"? 
    And where do we draw the line of what is bad to teach kids, since there is no law?

The general definition applies to the child, not to how the child treats others.
    “Any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker, which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation, or an act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm.”

Under the general definition (I don't know the definition the court was looking at, because I can't remember the state) teaching racism MAY qualify as "emotional harm" ... but how can you prove it?  Maybe if the parents were teaching racism against the child's race, it would be simpler.  But could we find a consensus among psychiatrists that being racist was emotionally harmful to the racist individual?

So the court, being stuck between a rock and a hard place, basically had no choice but to rule in favor of the parents.

October 7, 2020 8:44 AM MDT

A thought just occurred to me Walt. Please tell me what you think. I say inculcating hate in kids about specific people will entail their LYING to their children. Now wouldn't lying to your child fit the description of abuse? I mean when you teach you vilify excoriate demonize. LIES. So I think that's definitely child abuse. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine.
      October 11, 2020 6:23 AM MDT

Nope ... we couldn't say that "Lying to your child is abuse".

Say we disregard "little white lies" ... and avoid religion, entirely.
    There is still the lies that are commonly accepted.  Lies such as: Santa, the Easter Bunny, and that everyone has equal opportunity (AKA "You can be whatever you want, when you grow up.").

Sure, it may be disappointing when they find out the truth.  But does it rise to the level of "emotional harm"?

Yes, I know some parents who tell their child the truth about Santa and the Easter Bunny ... but then those kids are often picked on by classmates for not believing in those characters.  I would say that bullying causes more "emotional harm" (and sometimes even "physical harm") than the lie.

October 11, 2020 10:45 AM MDT

So to you all lies are alike? Lying about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny is precisely the same as lying about people of color that you INSTRUCT you kids to fear and hate? Seriously? That is your position?. Then we have no basis upon which to continue this discussion. I think it's baloney and you don't. Baloney is baloney no matter how you slice it Walt. Amazing that you see no difference in lying about Santa Clause and lying about whom to hate/fear/attack/insult. Amazing. And saddening. We overcome. We move on. We don't look back. Some. Thank you for your reply. We are vastly apart on this. Who cares? This post was edited by RosieG at October 11, 2020 11:00 AM MDT
      October 11, 2020 10:59 AM MDT

I see a difference, Rosie.
    I am saying we can't make a general statement that "lying to a child is abusive".

And even if we look at racism, what about this situation?
    A person has only ever had personal experiences with Jews who fit the stereotype of being greedy.
    So they teach their child that "all Jews are greedy and only care about money".
    Well, that's obviously not true - but it IS that individual's perception of the truth, based on their experiences.

No, I think a better way to handle it is for schools to have a class to teach students where and why these stereotypes originated.
    In the example above, Jews have a stereotype of being greedy moneylenders, merchants, and jewelers because that's the only careers they were allowed in many countries at various points in time.  And when you are limited to a certain type of career, you either get good at it or (literally) starve.
      October 11, 2020 11:21 AM MDT

You just hit a swell spot Walt! I love it! Teach the children the origin of STEREOTYPES. To counteract what they are taught at home by their bigot or racist or homophobic parents. But you know that would never fly. They would stop it because taking away their absolute authority and dominion over their children is something they will not tolerate. You try to teach them what is nutritious to feed their kids or that exercise is important or how to raise a vegetable garden and you get a RANT a DIATRIBE beginning with "who the he** are you to tell me how to raise my kids? I will raise them any dam* I like and you butt out". Now you think that is an exaggeration? I have seen it on the pages of Answerbag before and Answermug now and all over the GOP. THEY WANT AUTHORITY TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT WITH THEIR KIDS WITHOUT EXCEPTION! I'm sick of them and I pity their children who iwll grow up just like their parents. The ugly cycle continues. Sigh. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Monday to thee and thine. I shall ask.
      October 12, 2020 3:16 AM MDT