Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are Queens of countries only ever figureheads? Do they ever DECIDE anything or is that what the gubment does? What do they DO?

Are Queens of countries only ever figureheads? Do they ever DECIDE anything or is that what the gubment does? What do they DO?

Posted - October 8, 2020

Responses

Firstly, they do all the cornerstone-laying and ribbon-cutting, the ceremonial stuff that the ones who do the actual ruling don't have time to do.
    Secondly, they provide continuity - in the event of change of government, particularly when the winner of an election is not yet known (pending count of absentee and postal votes).
    Thirdly, the GOOD ones are ambassadors. Elizabeth II is a good example of this, her husband a bad one.
      October 8, 2020 4:11 AM MDT

Thank you once again m'dear for spelling it out so clearly. I appreciate it. Continuity. Geez that's a precious word isn't it? I think Queen Elizabeth has done a good job but I know nothing about anything relating to it really. Just what I see on the surface. Her husband always just seemed to be an appendage. Good looking and maybe that was all she was looking for. I don't know much about him but he seems to be a cipher. I just wonder when she is gone and whomever is there will the continuity be damaged? Will it be her good-for-nothing-son who cheated on Diana and married his horsefaced mistress? I hope not. But of course it's none of my business. :)
      October 8, 2020 5:18 AM MDT

Charles is heir, for the nonce - but may never be King, Her Majesty seems determined to outlive him. In which case the Crown passes to his son William on her death. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 8, 2020 12:20 PM MDT
      October 8, 2020 9:20 AM MDT

I wonder how long she will live? I wonder if Charles would have made a good king? His Horseface "wife" will never be more than she was as his mistress. My opinion only maybe. Thank you for your reply R! :)
      October 8, 2020 12:22 PM MDT