Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A lie that brings solace/comfort to someone that harms/hurts no one is a GOOD thing in my opinion. Example?

A lie that brings solace/comfort to someone that harms/hurts no one is a GOOD thing in my opinion. Example?

You visit a friend in the hospital who is DYING who says "I must look awful". You say "yes you look like crap"? Seriously? Or do you say "I think you look wonderful"?

A friend buries her husband. You know he cheated on her and had a mistress for years. She says "he was a wonderful husband". You say "he cheated on you for many years" or do you lie and say" yes he was".

I mean c'mon. Truth can be hurtful WITH NO PURPOSE. All it does is change what could be wonderful memories into bitterness. Of what use is that and what point is there to doing that? Just my take on it. YOURS?

Posted - October 12, 2020

Responses

I call them fibs, not lies.  If telling the fib doesn't hurt someone in a situation that cannot be altered, then there is no harm.  
      October 12, 2020 11:50 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply L. "Fib"?  I can go with that! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 13, 2020 8:20 AM MDT
      October 13, 2020 6:55 AM MDT