Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred in their bones". Julius Caesar written in 1599. Do you think it's true?

"The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred in their bones". Julius Caesar written in 1599. Do you think it's true?

Julius Caesar was born 12 July 100 BC and died 5 March 44 BC. The IDES of March.

William Shakespeare wrote a play about him which is fairly historically accurate as far as the "experts" can tell.

So when people are long gone is it the evil that lives on?

What GOOD did Hitler do that we remember?

Posted - October 18, 2020

Responses

Hitler did the "People's car". Volkswagen. Ferdinand Porsche (not a German, but a Czech - he considered himself a loyal subject of the defunct Austro-Hungarian Empire) was decades ahead of his time, the little car commissioned by the Führer was so wildly successful that it was nicknamed "Hitler's Revenge".
      October 18, 2020 5:41 AM MDT

He DESIGNED IT or COMMISSIONED IT TO BE DONE? My son had a volksie and I've had two and I LOVED them. They were plain wrap and simple just like me. Nothing extraneous or fancy dancy. So without Hitler I'd have never known the delight of the volksie? Suitable rethinking must needs be done on my part. Thank you for your informative reply R. I did not know that. I would say for me personally it was a very good thing he did. :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 18, 2020 5:55 AM MDT
      October 18, 2020 5:54 AM MDT

Hitler commissioned it - the horizontally opposed flat-4 "boxer" engine was definitely Porsche's own, the prototype "W90" was never used in a car. The body design of the KdF-Wagen (which became the "Typ 1" or "Beetle") was modelled on Czechoslovakia's "Tatra 97" (Tatra designer Hans Lebowicz himself stated 'sometimes I looked over Ferdi's shoulder, sometimes he looked over mine'), Tatra sued Volkswagen for it immediately following the war - but Tatra's car was considerably more expensive than the VW. The parameters that Hitler gave Porsche were "light on fuel, easy and cheap to repair, and no more than 1000 Reichsmarks to buy." And Hitler funded its development and initial production.
      October 18, 2020 6:06 AM MDT

WOW! Who knew? Thank you filling in the details. The fuhrer was responsible for a car for the people. Amazing what you can learn if you investigate isn't it? :)
      October 18, 2020 8:24 AM MDT