Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "I am not a robot". If you neglect to check that box what happens?

"I am not a robot". If you neglect to check that box what happens?

ARE you a robot or not? I'm not too.

Posted - October 19, 2020

Responses

If you do not check the box, the site will not let you log in.
      October 19, 2020 4:53 AM MDT

Having had to go through that rigmarole only an hour or so ago to purchase something...

Very often the "Captcha" test is not at the start, but practically at the end of the whole process and not always expected; so after all that logging-in and subsequent work it would halt you there and waste whatever you were doing to that point. 

In fact it did catch me out by returning me to the address-details form. The site is all-English, for an English retailer, until you reach that point. My mistake was entering my address as I normally would, but I missed the effect of the home-address form having not been modified from its American template. So I had to edit my entries, select [Continue] again, tick the little square again then work out what "cross-ways" are - the first attempt had asked about traffic-lights just visible in the distance.   

The effect? British addresses are number-street-town-county-postcode-(nation if applicable). This one gives number-street-town-nation-postcode-nation!
      October 19, 2020 5:17 PM MDT

GOOD GRIEF Durdle! All of that and you still are lucid and stayed calm clear-eyed and plugged in? Thank you for your surprisingly unexpected reply. I had no idea when I asked the question that your reply could be so complicated. Now how does 'it" know you are not a robot though? Could a robot be programmed to check off the box? How do we know people are whom they say they are if we never meet them in real life? How would a robot "know" if it were in fact communicating with a computer prgoram and not a real live person? My question was simple. The answer is mindboggling. What else in life is like that? I'm going to ask. I'm also going to ask what makes you angry? So far during our discussions you've never seemed ANGRY. I wonder why some folks get ticked off at everything and some very rarely do? Another example of a simple question and great answer triggering more questions. Does it ever end? Happy Tuesday to you and yours m'dear! :)
      October 20, 2020 2:44 AM MDT