Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does anyone know anything about how GRAND JURIES work? A Breona Taylor juror (they are allowed to speak) said the judge limited them. WHAT?

Does anyone know anything about how GRAND JURIES work? A Breona Taylor juror (they are allowed to speak) said the judge limited them. WHAT?

According to her the judge told they THEY COULD NOT ACCUSE THE COPS OF HOMICIDE! That was not an option! An innocent woman who was sleeping bed was MURDERED BY  one or all of three cops. MURDERED.
But cops rule and are never responsible for what they do if it is inconvenient.

WHAT? What bother with trials if the outcome is predetermined?

Posted - October 21, 2020

Responses

Never been on a Grand Jury, myself.
    However, my understanding is that it is their duty to recommend to the DA what (if any) crime to charge a person with.

Under Kentucky law, there are 4 types of homicide.
    https://statelaws.findlaw.com/kentucky-law/kentucky-murder-law.html#:~:text=A%20homicide%20is%20when%20someone,degree%20manslaughter%2C%20and%20reckless%20homicide.

As there was no malice on the part of the officers - they could not be charged with murder.
    However, they should still be liable for reckless homicide or voluntary manslaughter.
      October 21, 2020 9:08 AM MDT

Not according to this juror Walt unless I misunderstood her. She was quoted as saying the judge instructed them to not bring HOMICIDE charges. Other jurors may speak up as well. The judge has allowed the jurors to speak so maybe we will find out exactly how much lattitude the jurors had. I mean if the judge is going to restrict a jury what's the point of wasting time on having one? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)
      October 21, 2020 9:14 AM MDT

This is why I seldom serve on juries, even when selected from the pool.
    One of the questions they ask, is if you feel you can follow the judge's instructions - and I always say it depends on what those instructions are.
    I am aware of the Jury's historic Power of Nullification.

https://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/zenger/nullification.html
      October 21, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

It's funny but I've been ordered to serve several times but never made it as a jury member. It's because the cases git settled out of court. It's kinda frustrating. Now I'm too old I guess. Which is a blessing. I can't even almost imagine serving anywhere at anytime any more what with the extreme right wing "judges" larding benches thanks to moscow mitch the son of an itch. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      October 22, 2020 2:56 AM MDT

I cannot find an report that says the Judge restricted them.  I find reports saying they were told that prosecutor was not seeking and would not be filing charges against the two officers who returned fire.   Perhaps the juror took that to mean they could not recommend charges against them.  

I also do not find a statement saying the majority of jurors would have supported those charges.  

Do you have a link? 
      October 21, 2020 11:45 AM MDT