Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Imagine if your first experience after birth is being smacked/hit? I don't know if all doctors did it to all babies. Do any do so?

Imagine if your first experience after birth is being smacked/hit? I don't know if all doctors did it to all babies. Do any do so?

I will tell you that on the face of it being hit immediately after you're born has got to make you ANGRY.

How old do you have to be to get angry?

Imagine walking into a room and someone smacks you?

I just giggled and I have no idea why. Physical abuse is not funny. Not even a little bit. So are those who go through ANGRY AS HE** made that way because someone hit them first thing upon coming out of a womb and into a room?

Posted - November 9, 2020

Responses

They don't do that anymore.  Slapping a newborn baby was thought to be the way to get it to start breathing (clear out its throat and lungs of leftover gunk from birth).  Jut a gentle towel rubbing works just as well (even better).

Whenever anyone is struck, the autonomic reaction is to strike back - even if what struck them was an inanimate object. 

In theory, this is a transfer of energy.  Being struck (hit) instantly builds up energy in a person (evokes the fight or flight response).  By striking back, that energy is released, thereby putting the body back into a "neutral energy balance".  A rational person, however, learns to control this autonomic response, and doesn't strike back at whatever struck them.  They understand that this doesn't solve the energy unbalance, but only intensifies it.  Therefore, they find other "beneficial" ways to release the energy. 
      November 9, 2020 11:52 AM MST

Back in the day when hitting smacking spanking did occur I wonder if it left some kind of traumatic reaction in the stricken child? I'm happy to know that is no longer what is occurring. No one has ever hit me so I don't know how I would react. I expect it would depend on the size and strength of the hitter whether or not I'd hit back. I'd use a fist. I think. But I'm not a violent person so I truly have no idea what I'd do. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Hope I'm never tested! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      November 9, 2020 1:50 PM MST