Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Just because you wear a label/title does not mean you have the qualities that are imputed to it. Does it?

Just because you wear a label/title does not mean you have the qualities that are imputed to it. Does it?

Posted - November 10, 2020

Responses

No it does not!

I had many "corporate managers" show up who were fresh out of college.  They got their "impressive" titles simply because they had the education.  Yet few of them actually knew how a grocery store really functioned (no field experience).  In the real world, there's no such thing as a "textbook grocery store".  One has to to learn to "bend" a few rules slightly in order to please the customers.  After all, it's really the customer who keep a grocery store open.  In order to know which rules to "bend" and when to bend them, one must have knowledge how a particular store functions.  That can only come from real life experience... not same textbook.
    Well, these college graduates come in barking commands (must do things by the book!), and implementing policies that, according their college books, will increase sales.  More often than not, all they succeeded in doing was stressing out the employees (thereby lowering productivity) and angering the customers.  Angry customers don't care about policies.  They want what they want, and if a store won't provide it to them, they go to the competition.  
      November 10, 2020 11:57 AM MST

I have been on both sides of that coin Shuhak. Had people come in who were ignorant and wet behind the ears and without understanding anything proceeded to makes changes. On the other hand I've gone in to a new place with things that worked elsewhere and was told "IF THERE WERE A BETTER WAY TO DO IT WE WOULD BE DOING IT". So it's dicey and not easy. SIGH. What is? Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 10, 2020 1:12 PM MST