Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There is a proposal that sets 18-year TERM LIMITS for Supreme Court Justices. I think it makes sense. Do you?

There is a proposal that sets 18-year TERM LIMITS for Supreme Court Justices. I think it makes sense. Do you?

LIFE EXPECTANCY FOR WHITE MALES IN 1787         38 YEARS

LIFE EXPECTANCY FOR WHITE MALES IN 2020          78.7 YEARS

The life span of today is more than double what it was during the time of our Founding Fathers.

No consideration has been given to that. Should it?

Posted - November 13, 2020

Responses

Lifetime tenure is almost always a bad idea. That's what the House of Lords in the UK has. Didn't the US fight a hard and bloody Revolution to rid themselves of that bullsh**?
      November 13, 2020 7:17 AM MST

I thought so R but apparently it didn't stick. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      November 13, 2020 7:47 AM MST

No.
    The reason for lifetime appointment of judges, is to remove them as much as possible from the pressure of re-election and politics.

Plus, there is already a shortage of federal judges.
    If they could only serve 18 years, that shortage will be much worse.

Congress has the means to remove judges that are incompetent or in ill health.  Impeachment.
      November 13, 2020 7:35 AM MST

The SUPREMES are supremely politicized Walt. That's the point of shoving appointments up our a** the way that son of an itch moscow mitch did. He also BLOCKED DENIED President Obama his rightful choice.

Tell me it isn't all about POLITICS and POLITICAL PRESSURE! I don't buy it.

Thank you for your reply! Isn't 18 years long enough? Amy dame could live to 90. Want her there for many decades? Maybe you do.  Justice Kavanaugh gives me a tiny bit of hope but look at Thomas? He doesn't have an original though in his head. A rubber stamp for Scalia. Sheesh.

As for larding hundreds of benches with extreme right-wing CONSERVATIVES for life? You like that? I do not. 18 years would be way long enough for them. FOR LIFE? That is a life sentence for us. Not good.

I'm kinda shocked you are pro rigid restricted LIFELONG. Really. SIGH.

Are you telling me that CONGRESS can remove a SCOTUS JUSTICE? Also all those larda** extremel right wing conservatives judges for life..I think over 300 of them! Congress can boot them out? This post was edited by RosieG at November 13, 2020 8:04 AM MST
      November 13, 2020 7:53 AM MST

Yes ... Congress has the power to impeach federal judges.
    That is the intended "check and balance" on lifetime appointments.

Also, Congress has the power to "ordain and establish" courts ... thus implying they also have the power to remove courts from the system.

November 13, 2020 11:44 AM MST

Has it ever been used? Think it could be? Be still my heart! Thank you for your reply Walt. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE HAPPEN? WHY? This post was edited by RosieG at November 13, 2020 11:50 AM MST
      November 13, 2020 11:50 AM MST

As of Sept 2017 ... 15 federal judges had been impeached, and 8 convicted.  Three others resigned before impeachment proceedings concluded.

https://www.uscourts.gov/statistics-reports/judges-and-judicial-administration-journalists-guide#:~:text=Only%20Congress%20has%20the%20authority,only%20eight%20have%20been%20convicted.

I'd love to see Congress actually do their Constitutional duties, rather than trying to find ways to foist them on somebody else.
      November 13, 2020 12:34 PM MST

Superduper keen! I had no idea. Thank you for the info and the link Walt. They cheer me up bigly. I agree with you about Congress doing what it is supposed to be doing. The REPUBLICAN majority Senate has let us down very badly. With the son of an itch in charge nothing will change. His having a stroke or heart attack would work for me. Nothing to kill him. Just enough to get him to get out of politics.

Allegedly once upon a time back in the day Mitch McConnell used to be an honorable Senator. Used to be. No longer. Happy Saturday to thee and thine m'dear! :).
      November 14, 2020 1:40 AM MST