Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » For all ones an twosies who will be sheltering in place on Thanksgiving Day? What foods will you be serving?

For all ones an twosies who will be sheltering in place on Thanksgiving Day? What foods will you be serving?

For the two of us TURKEY or sure. But after that along with that I don't know yet. Maybe if I know what YOU'RE serving it will give me some ideas. Are you a traditionalist? The best part of turkey dinners is the turkey soup the next day. You put the entire carcass that has been stripped of meat and all the skin in a pot and cover it with water and simmer for a few hours. Your strain the broth and let it come to room temp. You refrigerate it and after the fat rises to the top and congeals you remove it and there you have the best turkey broth you will ever taste.

Do you turkey soup?

Posted - November 13, 2020

Responses

More than likely it'll just be another "normal" meal of whatever I can find around the house.  No reason to "go all out".

No, I don't do turkey soup.  I am not a soup fan (gravy either).
      November 13, 2020 12:55 PM MST

We part there m'dear. I am a great fan of soups and Jim is a great fan of gravies. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday. Less commercial phony fake and selfish than Christmas. I am thankful every day of the year. I always have been but certainly more so now than ever! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 14, 2020 11:00 AM MST
      November 14, 2020 4:57 AM MST

Well, since I don't like to cook, it will likely be a frozen dinner that I can microwave.  Even without Covid, the best part of Thanksgiving meals for me are the sides - you can keep the turkey.
      November 13, 2020 6:36 PM MST

Jim loves turkey so when I buy one I usually just get the breast. BUT sometimes I have been known to bake an entire turkey JUST FOR THE TURKEY SOUP I make out of the carcass. After we have our meal I strip the carcass leving some meat on the bones. It all goes into a large soup pot INCLUDING skin and I cover it with water and bring to a boil then I simmer it for 3-4 hours. Then I strain it and pick through it keeping any meat. I cool the broth then chill it overnight. Next morning I remove all the congealed fat on top and have the makings for a simple delicious turkey soup. My favorite part. My sister does the same exact thing. We used to look forward to Mom's turkey soup and we have just carried on that tradition. Winco says we ge at free turkey if we spend $100 starting November 13.. So when we go to Winco next Thursday I'll get one. Maybe a 12 pounder since it's just the two of us. As for sides? Yams for sure. Veggies. Not a fan of stuffing so probably won't bother with it. Cranberry sauce. Jim loves to have it spread on bread for his turkey sandwiches. Thank you for your reply L. I wonder what families will ignore the imploring of the scientists to NOT GATHER TOGETHER IN LARGE NUMBERS? We know many will simply ignore that pleading and do what they want and then the exploding devastation of more cases and more deaths will hit. And the guilty ones won't give a rat's a** about any of it. Not their problem. Right. :( This post was edited by RosieG at November 14, 2020 7:25 AM MST
      November 14, 2020 2:03 AM MST

The only turkey that I've enjoyed is when my office has their Thanksgiving luncheon.  I don't know where they get the turkey from or how it's roasted, but even the white meat is moist.  I love stuffing and cranberry sauce and if they could make that into a diet, I could be rail thin.  I do like yams and green beans.  
      November 14, 2020 7:27 AM MST

You're so cute For me it would dark chocolate covered orange peel, chocolate eclairs and rum cake. And I don't even have a sweet tooth. But those things I mentioned I am POWERLESS to resist so I dare not have any in the house. Last time I bought the orange peel I gave it to Jim to HIDE it from and dole it out. I am serious. It's probably been over ten years since I last enjoyed a doled out piece. Why that is so I don't know but well my BIG candy weakness.  I likfe stuffing but Jim is real partcular and he prefers cornbread stuffing like his mom used to make. She had died before we met. Through the years I bet I've tried a couple dozen cornbread recipes. None with sugar . He doesn't like the cakelike cornbread either. I got close with an inexpensive mix they used to sell that has disappeared. I don't remember the name of it. I like the regular bread stuffing but well eating moist bread when I could be eating a chocolate eclair? See how it goes? Thank you for your reply L! :) I prefer the dark meat. My favorite part of a chicken is either the wing or the thight. The breast meat is great for sandwiches all dolled up with mayo but kinda dry on its own. I don't do gravy very often. Jim loves gravy. I prefer an au jus and I've gotten him to like it too though I'm not sure he PREFERS it. He is not a hard guy to please foodwise or really much otherwise. A few things he is partciular about but nothing I can't handle easily. On a difficult scale of 10 being the most difficulty he is maybe a 2. See? Lucky me! :)
      November 14, 2020 7:37 AM MST

Yes, a "2" on the difficulty scale is definitely a keeper.  I'm not sure I've had cornbread stuffing.  My family usually makes the Pepperidge Farm stuffing.  They make one just as it is, but another kind with pieces of sausage.  I like either one.  I do like dark chocolate in any form -particularly Godiva truffles.  Around Thanksgiving, they make pumpkin spice filled truffles that are to die for.  I have to stay away from all that sugar, so I don't keep any of it in the house.  My mom was particularly fond of chocolate covered orange peel and I like it too.  
      November 14, 2020 7:45 AM MST

Really? It was my mom's very favorite candy so that is what daddy would always get for her on special occasions and I developed a real love for it. Our moms would have gotten along..at last about candy! Thank you for your reply L! :) I like Pepperidge Farm bread stuffing too. I have had GODIVA chocolates and they are most delicioso. I am salivating over the pumpkin spice. I bought some pumpkin pie CREAM CHEESE and spreading it on a bran muffin is to die for! They should have it all year round not just at holiday time. Oh. They also have pumpkin pie ice cream and peppermint during the holidays. Why not have that ice cream all year round too? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      November 14, 2020 8:11 AM MST

My mom was a good cook, just like you.  I think you would have gotten along.  I guess they only do those flavors at special times of the year so they remain special.  One of the things I did enjoy making was baked sweet potatoes, buttered and sprinkled with pumpkin spice.
      November 14, 2020 8:19 AM MST

Sounds DELISH! I'm not a fan of yams and pineapple and brown sugar and marshmallows! I think that is an abomination on the tastebuds. Yams/sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and tasty. Maybe a very light dusting of brown sugar but the sweet overkill ruins it for me personally. I know that our tastebuds are different so what somethings tastes like to me may not be at all what it tastes like to others. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      November 14, 2020 8:52 AM MST

That's why I like the pumpkin spice and butter instead of brown sugar.
      November 14, 2020 9:00 AM MST

Sounds good to me. I have some cooked yams in the freezer. All I have to do is defrost them on Thanksgiving and add some pumpkin spice (which I already have) and butter (which I always have on hand). Thank you for your reply L!
      November 14, 2020 10:00 AM MST

Enjoy!
      November 14, 2020 10:06 AM MST

I thought "if L and we only lived closer we could invite her over to join us on Thanksgiving. But then I realized that could have applied last year but not this year. She would be with her family in Pennsylvania which is exacty what I 'd wish for her. For the moment though I forgot. It felt really good. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      November 14, 2020 11:05 AM MST

It's the thought that counts. :)
      November 14, 2020 12:32 PM MST