Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » All "parents" are basically sperm/egg donors. Doesn't make them good at it. What does it take to make a good/great parent?

All "parents" are basically sperm/egg donors. Doesn't make them good at it. What does it take to make a good/great parent?

Are you one? Did you have at least one if not two?

Posted - November 14, 2020

Responses

All parents are people.  And, believe it or not, NO ONE is "good" at parenting when they start. 

Parenting is something that’s nearly impossible to prepare for.  No book, no documentary, and no other person can prepare someone to be a parent.  It’s strictly a "learn as you go" experience.  All people aren’t the same, all births aren’t the same, all kids aren’t the same, all situations aren’t the same, .....   About the only thing that is the same is how to make the kid (and they’re even trying to change that too).  Sure, someone else can show you how to change a diaper, but no one can prepare you for what’s inside one of them (and I though Uncle Louis smelled bad).  Parenting doesn’t get easier as more kids come along, just more routine.  In fact, by the time you think you’ve finally got it down, your kids are all grown up.  (Let’s see… who else had kids so I can tell them how to raise them the right way?)

Every parent has their own unique way of raising their children.  It's usually a mix of what their friend told them, what they saw others do while they were growing up, what they saw on TV and in movies, and how their parents raised them.  Most parents don’t want to be told how to raise their kids.  Unfortunately, people are experts on how to raise other people’s children.  - You’re doing it wrong.  I did it this way and...; you know, you really should...; if you don’t you discipline them like this, or make them do that…. 
    (You know…if you’re so good at raising children, how come your kids are such brats?)

November 14, 2020 2:23 PM MST

I took child psychology courses in college---I was determined that no child of mine would be treated like I was.

When my adult children became parents, they asked me to list the names of the books on which I based my parenting skills. I did.

(Proper preparation prevents p*ss poor performance)
      November 14, 2020 4:09 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak. I can't argue with anything you said. However I do have one observation to make. Those who have never been pregnant have no clue what it "feels" like. You have to have been pregnant and gone through childbirth to know what that is like. All the reading about it and all the hearing about is worthless. You have to have had cancer and experienced losing your hair and having chemo to understand what that FEELS like. No book will help. No sharing of the experiences will help. Experiencing it yourself is the only valid way to KNOW. Everything else is opining supposing guessing. When I got cancer and became "one of them" my understanding of what occurs exploded. Same with being pregnant and giving birth. Judicious opining is fine. We all do it. But KNOWING only is possible for those who actually personally experience it. Just my take on it. Happy Sunday! :)
      November 15, 2020 2:02 AM MST

I agree.  
      November 15, 2020 10:08 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      November 16, 2020 4:28 AM MST

• I don't know. My parents were great parents and I know that if I ever have kids, I will try and emulate them but I also know that kids are variable and I may not be able to parent the same way my parents did because of my own kids' idiosyncrasies. I'm glad I had a good model, but all cases are different. One thing that my parents were that stands out to me and that I will certainly be if I have children is supportive. I have friends whose parents were not supportive and I see the damage it does. That is something I've always appreciated and will be myself. It may not mean the exact thing for me as it did for my parents but I'll never make my kids question whether they're loved. 
      November 15, 2020 10:36 AM MST

I think you will be an excellent parent m'dear based on your very thoughtful reply. I have noticed that those who don't have kids are very quick with advice. As if they know. They don't have a clue and can't until they are parents. I wonder what causes the inexperienced to wax pontifically on things they don't know? Hubris? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine NB! :)
      November 16, 2020 4:31 AM MST