Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » They will never have the Norman Rockwell memories we have. They may not even know the name. How sad is that?

They will never have the Norman Rockwell memories we have. They may not even know the name. How sad is that?

Which "they"? Our younger pals friends acquaintances. We lived what they will never live. Shortchanged they will always be.

Posted - November 14, 2020

Responses

Each generation has their own memories.  In fact, to today's kids, these are the "good ol' days".  In the years to come, many of them will look back on these years and sigh; wishing times were still like that.
    Yes, we have lived what they never will.  But, they will live what we can't imagine.  When You were young, did you ever imagine that you'd have a talking computer in your pocket? (shut up, Seri, I want talking to you).  Did you ever imagine that you'd be able to access virtually every book and piece of information instantly?  (even fox news).  What's more, it's not all exciting and new, but "normal".   Those "youngers" may live in a time when going to the moon is as common as is our going to someplace like Las Vegas now.  Where getting live cams of other planets is as common as out getting live cams of downtown traffic.

No, they won't have Norman Rockwell; they might not even know the name.  However, they may have someone just as good - or better.  What people consider "good" comes and goes.  Music, dances, TV stars, singers, etc.  The Elvis of the 60's became the Michael Jackson of the 80's.  The "Beverly Hillbillies" of the 60's became the "Friends" of the 90's, which became the "Big Bang Theory" of the 2000s.  While those who grew up with the things of the 60's might not think the stuff that came later is as good, those who grew up with it might (and may even think that earlier stuff is corny).  Why, when they get to be in their later years, they may think that the youngers of that period will never know the "greats" they did.

Each generation makes their own memories from their experiences.  Whether they were from s kicking the can in the 30's, playing frisbee in the 70's, Pac-Man in the 80's or Pokemon Go in the 2000's.  To us our memories are fonder, but to them... theirs are.
      November 14, 2020 1:12 PM MST

MAGA. Lies treason traitor scandals corruption criminality. HATE. RACISM sanctified and elevated to a position of power. That is what I refer to Shuhak. Progress in electronics is a separate issue entirely. That will always occur. Not because of but IN SPITE OF. I am talking about honest integrity morality. I am talking about seeking to be our better angels. I am talking about community and comity and looking out for one another. During the 2nd world war everyone pulled together. We were one UNITED country with the same goals. We who were at home embraced rationing (before your time). Butter for guns. Sugar for special occasions. Men went to war. Women went to factories and learned to the jobs their men had done. We were UNITED. That is the country I miss. Sure. Our entertainment was the radio. Researching anything meant actually going to a library. Life is more convenient now. I can research anything I wnat whenever I want including at 2am and I can also go anywhere for the research including foreign countries. I never dreamed I would ever be able to do that. But I would trade all of that for what America used to be. I did not worry then about my neighbors or fellow citizens. I had confidence in them and trusted them and now? There are at least 72 millions TRAITORS who supported evil. How can I possibly prefer that? I don't. Thank you for your reply. I will ask the question.
      November 15, 2020 2:23 AM MST