Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Who invented the SELFIE? Are you a selfie taker? In the olden days others would take our pictures. Why the change from other to self?

Who invented the SELFIE? Are you a selfie taker? In the olden days others would take our pictures. Why the change from other to self?

Posted - November 16, 2020

Responses

"Selfies" were invented before digital cameras or cell phones.
    They were the reason timers were added to film cameras.  To allow the person setting the camera to get in the picture.

I used to have a photo print of a trick, where I'm sitting on a couch - talking to myself.
    One of me has a beard, the other is clean shaven.  And they're wearing different outfits.
    Took me a half hour to set everything up for that photo.
      November 16, 2020 6:26 AM MST

That seems IMPOSSIBLE to me Walt. But I know you are a very resourceful and creative thinker. I remember those days. You did it because no one else was available. Correct me if I'm mistaken but it seems to me  we are are and have been in the ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME stage of evoluting.For a few years already. It seems very conceited to me to always be taking pictures of YOURSELF surrounded by scenery and others. SELFIES doesn't mean SELF AND FAMILY BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE. I think of the very conceited Kim Kardashian who makes a career of self. I dunno. I am not a selfie supporter because I connect it to being FULL OF ONESELF AT ALL TIMES. If I'm wrong please show me the error of my ways. SELF and whomever happens to be around or SELF and a famous background. The importance of the SELF cannot be overstated. SICK AND TIRED OF SELF? Never. They can never tire of themselves. I cannot relate but I am open to correction. You have a way of doing that I do not find disagreeable. Can you find a way of explaining via food? Remember you did a great job doing that for me with regard to cheese and how long it takes radiation to die? So correct away m'dear! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine. Will your state be locked down? I think ours might. Haven't we already done this? :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 16, 2020 6:47 AM MST
      November 16, 2020 6:46 AM MST

The trick to that photo was double exposure.
    I blocked half the lens and took the first photo ... then shaved and changed, blocked the other half of the lens and took the second photo.
    Nowadays, I'd just use software to merge two digital photos.

I admit - I don't understand the popularity of the Kardashian Klan.
    But I'm not into celebrities, as some people are.

Nor do I understand the mentality of people who "have to" constantly pose for selfies and post them to social media.
    I think maybe their parents didn't teach them to rely on their own self-worth, rather than getting their worth from what others think of them.
      November 16, 2020 8:49 AM MST

If you have your mind set on accomplishing something you are INFINITELY PATIENT. See that's where I'm a loser. The biggest thing that hurts me is my impatience. I am so grateful for those who are patient with me. As you know. As I have told you. Yet I cannot for some reason extend that to others who may be having difficulty understanding something. I can't figure it out. It's not like I think I'm so smart and know everything. I don't and I don't. But what I so much appreciate receiving I can't give and that bugs the heck out of me. In fact I'm going to ask Walt and see if there are others like me wired like that. SIGH. At my age there is no way I can change. At least not unless a lightbulb goes off over my head like in cartoon strips. SIGH. My Jim is INFINITELY PATIENT too. Double SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 16, 2020 9:00 AM MST

I have taken a few.

November 16, 2020 9:22 AM MST

I don't do selfies in the current traditional sense.  I have set my regular camera to take a photo of me on a timer.  I used that photo for a passport renewal photo.  I don't need anymore photos of me.  I know what I look like.
      November 16, 2020 10:35 AM MST

LOL ... I wish I looked like what I think I look like.
    That's the problem with photos and reflective surfaces.  They show us what we actually look like.
      November 16, 2020 10:53 AM MST

Sometimes I look back at some of my old photos and wonder where that beautiful, young woman went.
      November 16, 2020 12:16 PM MST

She's now a beautiful older woman.
      November 16, 2020 1:35 PM MST

Thank you.  I needed that. :)
      November 17, 2020 9:35 AM MST

My photo of me up there looks just like me.
      November 16, 2020 1:35 PM MST