Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Where does caring/not caring originate? You can't force folks to care about what they don't or not care about what they do. Can you?

Where does caring/not caring originate? You can't force folks to care about what they don't or not care about what they do. Can you?

Ever try?

Posted - November 18, 2020

Responses

Force ... no, you can't generally force someone to care or not.
    There are exceptions, such as when you forcibly remove something someone wants - you may force them to care about why you're taking it.
    EG: Taxes.

Persuade ... yes.  Thus all those commercials trying to persuade people to give money to charities.

I would say it originates with convincing someone to feel a certain way, for most things.

We should feel bad about all the animals in shelters.
    As opposed to thinking about why they are so many there (overpopulation), and what a logical solution would be (euthanasia).

Or feel bad about all the people starving in foreign nations.
    As opposed to thinking about why that is (usually their government and/or lack of education), and what a solution would be (remove the government and/or provide better education).

November 18, 2020 8:03 AM MST

It originates in the heart (not the blood pump).

No one can force anyone else to care.  It's something each person must do on their own.  One can demonstrate how to do it (lead by example), but they cannot force it.

Some people don't care as they think it may require something of them (if-then).  Some can't be bothered with caring as it might intrude on their desires.  Some don't want to care; too much work.
      November 18, 2020 12:39 PM MST

Is loving something/someone inborn or are we taught it by example? If we have no examples then does the ability to love never develop? I think I shall ask. Because the duck is such an anomaly. All the very worst traits of homo saps he has and none of the good. I think that's really odd don't you? I don't see him ever loving anyone or putting their needs/wants ahead of his. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 19, 2020 10:20 AM MST
      November 19, 2020 1:59 AM MST

I can't think of any situation where a child isn't taught either love or hate, by those around us.
    Even a human raised by animals would have those examples.
      November 19, 2020 8:05 AM MST

Maybe orphans in some kind of institution? Wars create orphans. What happens to them? Where do they go? If the orphans are babies who cuddles them? Loves them? There may be millions of such survivors who were never given a chance to know what love is. What about the children stripped from their parents arms by the duck? Some infants were still breast feeding. What happens to them? It's so sad. Thank you for your reply Walt. I wish for duck a double down of what he has caused others. I will ask. :)
      November 22, 2020 11:20 AM MST

I'm thinking as long as they have interactions with people ... or some other pack animal ... they will be exposed to feelings of love or hate.
      November 23, 2020 11:35 AM MST

If they are lucky. I've read that some babies are never cuddled. They grow up to be sociopaths. Now I don't know if it's really that simple a link. But some kids only ever live in Foster Parent homes. You know they get PAID to be foster parents so some of them are only in it for the money. I'm sure some foster parents are loving and make a difference. But we know some kids get lost and fall through the cracks and their welfare is not monitored religiously. The miracle is that those in Foster Care ever grow up to be loving nurturing. The lucky ones do I'm sure. What happens to the unlucky ones? They live on the streets selling their bodies? Life is a cesspool for some kids. They never got a break. They never had a worthy role model. They never felt they were LOVED and BELONGED anywhere. How many kids are there like that? One is too many but we know there are way more. Thank you for your reply Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 23, 2020 12:37 PM MST
      November 23, 2020 12:35 PM MST