Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Instant gratification! I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW! They cannot wait for "later". Some stay there forever. Why?

Instant gratification! I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW! They cannot wait for "later". Some stay there forever. Why?

Adults are able to delay gratification. They may not be happy about it but they do it when it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Babies infants toddlers terrible twos? I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW! Hissy fit tantrums usually work for them.

So it seems that 40% of Americans subscribe to I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW. Temporarily or permanently? Will they survive their demand for INSTANT gratification NOW? More importantly, WILL WE?

Posted - November 21, 2020

Responses

How do parents stop a baby from throwing those hissy fits and tantrums?  Simple, they don't give in to them.  After a few times, the child learns that what he's doing isn't accomplishing his goals.  That's called parenting.  Sure it's hard.  Sure the kid will howl even louder.  Sure it may be embarrassing when he/she does it in public.  However, being firm and consistent is what's required to properly raise a child.  

Unfortunately, many parents don't understand this.  They can't stand the noise so they cave to the child's demands.  They don't like being embarrassed in public, so they cave to the child's demands.  They're stressed beyond their limit, so they cave to the child's demands.  Many parents try to justify their actions in their own mind - it's only this once; I'm too tired to argue; they're too little to understand; (etc.).  Yet the more they cave, the harder it becomes to break the habit.  Before long it's the child who's controlling the parent.  When that child becomes an adult, it still expects its wishes to be met...NOW!  Since this is how they were raised, manytrat the children the way.  Each successive generation gets worse and worse and worse.  Soon, society is full of whining brats who demand their way NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!

A few parents refuse to give in to their child.  They suffer through the noise, the embarrassment, and the hardships, as they know that even though it's hard on them, it's what's best for their child.  
      November 21, 2020 11:17 AM MST

Which is precisely WHY some children grow up to be very fine adults who raise their children as they were raised who will become very fine adults. The not some, the many, are the cavers and what we are forced to endure are ducks who quack quack quack quack quack quack. You get the drift. The duck quackers become Republicans like their parents. A vicious cycle circle. And so it goes. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I'm not saying there are no spoiled brat Democrats. I'm sure there are. I just encounter so many more GOP spoiled brat variety out there quacking whining whinya**ing. SIGH. It's exhausting. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Once again we agree verbatim. This post was edited by RosieG at November 22, 2020 9:54 AM MST
      November 22, 2020 4:37 AM MST