Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you RESOURCEFUL? When things are not always available are you able to adjust and work with what you have?

Are you RESOURCEFUL? When things are not always available are you able to adjust and work with what you have?

Posted - November 27, 2020

Responses

You mean MacGyvering ... yep, I'm good at it.  I was taught how to do that when I was growing up (called Mickey mousing back then), and I've never departed from it.  - 

I plugged holes in the foundation of my shed using old metal receptacle boxes I had lying around.
    I made chimes out of old lawn chairs, CDs, and pipe fittings. 
    I screwed some old shelf brackets to my patio wall, then hung a piece of grid rack I had lying around on them, to make a lattice for jasmine to climb.
    I filled old plastic juice bottles with water and used them to block holes in neighbors fence so my dog won't squeeze through them. 
    I use water-filled bottles as doorstops.
    I use old yarn and pantyhose to support plants and trees all over my yard.
    I use old tomato cage parts (bent into a "U-shape") as exterior wire clamps and to hold down drip irrigation hoses.
    I used old metal and PVC pipes to help protect my plants from hoses being drug around.  
    The hose caddy out back was once part of an old camping cot.
    Who needs a watering can... a milk jug works just fine.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

November 27, 2020 12:43 PM MST

Why am I not surprised m'dear? That is an awesome great list of "repurposing" things by rethinking how to use them. Yes MacGyver was exactly the who/whom I was thinking about. He could do wonders with a paper clip, rubber band and Masking Tape. But you know what came to mind as I read your list? You would be great at restoring preserving historic buildings. Instead of tearing down, clearing out and building new. Preservation honors our past and I think we too often find it easier to just demolish. Thank you for your fine reply Shuhak and Happy Saturday to you. A couple of days ago we had some very high winds in southern California (not so much in Hemet) and 12,000 folks were without power for awhile. They didn't lose it. The "electric" company shut them down. Is it windy in your area? "They" shut you off due to fires "up north". Have they also shut you off due to high winds? This post was edited by RosieG at November 28, 2020 9:20 AM MST
      November 28, 2020 1:18 AM MST

It was only breezy here on Thursday (10-25 mph).  Just enough to take down some of the leaves and pine needles.
      November 28, 2020 9:32 AM MST

So no loss of electricity then? Yet? Good. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      November 28, 2020 9:33 AM MST

No.  Since we got a "whopping" 3.75 inches of rain, they consider the area "too damp" for fires anymore (that's why they lifted the burning ban).  Although it did help to raise the humidity levels, everything is still bone dry - despite what they may think.  I seriously wonder who's in charge of making these decisions.  We haven't received never enough rain to truly wet things down (and there is no more on the horizon).
      November 28, 2020 9:42 AM MST

"I seriously wonder who's in charge of making these decisions"! Me too m'dear. ME TOO. But you will never find out. It is always "anonymous" in the "government". That way you can't direct your ire at anyone but "anonymous". This is where I'd really like to be a "mindreader". Not to win the lottery but to go after the cretins who make the "laws" or whatever the heck they call them. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      November 28, 2020 10:01 AM MST