Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The Astrozenaca virus trials are crap and had to be junked. Mistake made in amount of vaccine given to many participants. MISTAKE?

The Astrozenaca virus trials are crap and had to be junked. Mistake made in amount of vaccine given to many participants. MISTAKE?

Did these administrators of the trials get off the turnip truck yesterday? A MISTAKE? FOR SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT THEY MADE A MISTAKE?
Sheesh.

Posted - November 28, 2020

Responses

You cannot slag off an entire mass of very hard work by a large team of dedicated people working in very difficult circumstances, and by extension denigrate the people themselves, for having made, identified and admitted a mistake.

They were honest, they did not try to cover it up; and very few technical advances or human achievements of any worth are ever made without any mistakes somewhere. 

The only surprising thing about all these companies in several countries trying to make an effective, safe vaccine in very short order against a new and very peculiar disease, is that there have not been more mistakes. Maybe there have, but by other firms less open and honest.
      November 28, 2020 4:35 PM MST

Making a "mistake" about the dosage? That could be fatal Durdle. Thank you for your reply.
      November 29, 2020 2:52 AM MST

Possibly, if a too-high dose of a powerful drug, but I don't think it's likely with a vaccine. It appears the mistake was of too low a dose anyway, but we don't know how the mistake occurred. What matters is that AstraZeneca know, and know how to avoid it again.

I have every faith in both the company and the university with whom they are working - Oxford University had been researching Coronavirus illnesses and vaccines for a long time before the latest variety emerged.
      November 29, 2020 3:07 AM MST

Well you know Durdle I have ZERO scientific background so I am suspicious of all of it all the time. The motive for making these vaccines is mostly greed I believe. They see a chance to rake in tons of profits so they jump right on it and work their butts off. If any of them have any tiny feelings of wanting to do something for their fellow man it is minimal and rare. Of that I am certain. So I live in a very suspicious place 24/7.I'll give you an example. My Jim is VERY trusting. He believes what he is told when he is hearing a sales pitch. It usually comes from a TV commercial and I told him to let me check it out on the internet to see if there is any credibility to it. I've done this perhaps a dozen times. Would you believe not one of them checked out as living up to what was being said? There were reviews and specific experiences recounted. Jim appreciates that but it doesn't stop him from believing everything he hears. In others words HE DOESN'T LEARN FROM IT so I have to keep checking things out. No wonder I am suspicious right? I am a retired Internal Auditor. We see a puzzle that looks peculiar  or "too good to be true" and we take it apart examine each piece and then put it back together again in the right way. It's what I do. If I had more knowledge or experience or education I probably could take some things "on faith" but I don't so I check. Now I can't check out the protocols used in those fast-tracked vaccines. What I'd like though is for the makers to let us see their records. How long they took for each level of testing. What the results were. Then I'd like to compare that to the records for the normal vaccines that takes 5-10 years to get to market. That way we can see where the shortchanging of time occurred. That's how serious I am about this. Thank you for your reply Durdle! I appreciate it. :)
      November 29, 2020 7:34 AM MST

I agree all these vaccine developments are being rushed through, and we can only hope it will all work in the end, but the notion of a medicines company making a profit does not worry me. They are businesses, and so are almost all others apart from State-owned services, who supply us with anything.

Although having a needle stuck in me used to frighten me and I can't say it's pleasant now - the jab itself not the vaccine - I am grateful that large companies have put a lot of effort and  money in making the others I've had, against polio, TB, tetanus, and nowadays, influenza. If they did not  make a profit doing so, no-one would invest in them and they would not be able to afford much research and development.

I appreciate your professional experience helps you spot anything that looks wrong, and I don't take things at face value either if I think there might be something exaggerated, untruthful or fraudulent going on.

I must be the sort advertisers don't like, as I will read what they say and see what they don't say, even if it as simple as "It Just Got Better". That was a slogan once used by British Telecomm, my broadband provider. The advertisements never said what had been improved or had recovered from what ailments, but the warning sign for me was the glaringly sloppy English. In one of its past guises my employer went through that silly  "mission statement" fad. A Mission Statement is an anodyne slogan telling you nothing either new to you or not already obvious. They often said things like "We aim to be a world-class provider of ... solutions". That says, "We are not as good as we'd like, but have no definite performance references; and we see our customers' needs as 'problems' ". This post was edited by Durdle at November 29, 2020 3:21 PM MST
      November 29, 2020 3:17 PM MST