Active Now

Zack
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I thought one could only be pardoned AFTER one was charged tried and CONVICTED of a crime. How can it be done elsewise otherwise?

I thought one could only be pardoned AFTER one was charged tried and CONVICTED of a crime. How can it be done elsewise otherwise?

Can a prez give a CARTE BLANCE pardon in advance to cover any crimes with which one may be charged tried and convicted? Does that make sense to you or does it sound like nonsense?

Posted - December 3, 2020

Responses

Nixon was fully pardon without a conviction. 
      December 3, 2020 4:34 AM MST

That was reported on the BBC News the other evening. It did sound very peculiar but I don't understand the American legal context or how it would, or could, work.

However, it struck me that asking for a pre-emptive pardon for named individuals who have not been charged with a crime, suggests the requestor thinks they cannot be trusted and should be investigated. If so, would that make the requestor a potential prosecution witness? Even if the parent of the accused, as I believe is the case here? This post was edited by Durdle at December 5, 2020 2:32 AM MST
      December 4, 2020 3:42 PM MST

I was gob-stomped when I heard about it myself. I mean who would know better than duck who is a criminal and corrupt? Of course he ain't that smart to begin with or he would NEVER have involved his children in his crimes. But that would take caring and the ability to foresee results of actions. He doesn't care and can only see now. So now we know. We wait. We watch. We wonder. Thank you for your thoughtful opining. Everyday is a "Forrest Gump" box of chocolates day. You take a bite knowing not what it is until you taste it! :(
      December 5, 2020 2:35 AM MST