Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Iconic test pilot Chuck Yeager, first to break sound barrier, dies at 97". Wow. A long and notable life. Remember him?

"Iconic test pilot Chuck Yeager, first to break sound barrier, dies at 97". Wow. A long and notable life. Remember him?

Posted - December 8, 2020

Responses

Of course; he was a local.  He moved up here (to Cedar Ridge) back in the mid 70's when he "retired".  I'm sure the entire front page of tomorrow's local newspaper will be devoted just to him.
      December 8, 2020 11:25 AM MST

If you subscribe gonna keep that front page for posterity? I still get the newspaper though it is a slim thing and getting slimmer. I don't care. I will never not subscrbe! It's in my blood! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 8, 2020 11:52 AM MST

After nearly 40 years and 2 paper routes, I canceled my newspaper subscription when COVID struck.  I use their e-version now and then (using my sister's password). 

Back when I got my paper route, I collected $1.75 from my customers each month for 6 days/week delivery (price went to $3.75 before I gave it up).  The paper now costs $11.10/month, for 5 days of delivery, old news, and very sloppy work (they don't use a spell check, have poor grammar, they reuse the same articles (and comics) all week long, plus most pages are so blurred or blotched with ink that they aren't even readable).  On top Of that, the paper is 25% smaller that it used to be (length/width), with over 50% less pages.
      December 8, 2020 12:09 PM MST

I know all that Shuhak. And you know I like bargains and clipping coupons and getting good deals. My son (the college professor) stopped subscribing to newspapers in the late 90's. He got his news from the internet. I admire him great but I will never do that. There is something about the tradition of newsppaers and what they used to represent back in the day. I know I'm not getting any kind of a bargain. And I check out GOOGLE NEWS and YAHOO NEWS every day. Even so I like to hold it in my hand. For the same reason I hate Kindle. Or downloading books to read from my computer screen. I won't. I want to hold the book in my hands and turn each page. Electronic thingies GET IN THE WAY. For the same reason I don't cell phone. I have never texted nor will I. There are traditions I will not leave on my own. Only when there is no newspaper because it folded because people stopped subscribing. I'm old school. Old fashioned. Anti electronic thingy gimmicks. State of the art metal and parts. Others can value them. I don't have to and I don't. Remember I'm old. I'm stuck in my ways. I see no reason to change so I won't! So there! Well I'm not angry at you ya know. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 9, 2020 9:54 AM MST
      December 9, 2020 7:41 AM MST

Yes I have. A great pilot. "Got any Beeman's?"
      December 9, 2020 7:37 AM MST

Chewing gum? I remember it centuries ago and I have even chewed it but I don't remember any particular taste. I like dentyne and there was licorice gum I liked and of course BUBBLE GUM! I can't remember how long ago it's been since my last stick..my last chew. Do you chew? Thank you for your reply E and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      December 9, 2020 7:50 AM MST

It's from the movie 'The Right Stuff'. Before Yeager would climb into his aircraft, he would ask his mechanic if he had any Beemans. You can still buy it.

December 9, 2020 1:08 PM MST

I may not have seen the movie E. I honestly do not recall if I did or didn't. Tomorrow when we go out I'm gonna look for Beeman's and BLACK JACK...that was the licorice one. I might pop for a package of each and chew and recall the long ago. Why not? What could it hurt? Thanks for the info and the pix. Brings back long ago memories of innocent days. :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 10, 2020 12:54 PM MST
      December 9, 2020 1:13 PM MST