Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What (not who/whom) has left you that you wish you could get back? For me? Hours spent in bookstores on rainy days. What else?

What (not who/whom) has left you that you wish you could get back? For me? Hours spent in bookstores on rainy days. What else?

Researching among stacks of books not computer screens.

Dialing a phone not punching in numbers.

Corresponding with handwritten letters or cards not typed images on a screen via email or ecards.

That was the norm once upon a time. Today it's abnorm to the max. SIGH

Posted - December 9, 2020

Responses

Well, I do have a pen-friend in Norway (though she is English) with whom I exchange letters once or twice a year. She used to hand-write hers, in a beautiful, very neat hand, but my hand-writing has always been poor and became so bad I type them on a computer instead. Which of course only  make my hand-writing worse by lack of practice.

She uses a computer too now, but I think perhaps due to having quite a number of correspondents, so she could copy a lot of her news from one to another! 

There are still plenty of bookshops around, at least there are here; and it seems reading real books is increasing after a time when many thought most of us would never need anything more than a little box of electronics to read from.   

Rotary-dial telephones... There's a thought! I believe you can buy replicas, presumably with  modern electronics hidden inside.
      December 9, 2020 3:23 PM MST

Why does progress always include/depend upon leaving things behind and getting/using "ALL NEW ALL IMPROVED"? Restoring repairing versus tearing down? We can't congregate inside anywhere any more. We can't linger and browse and meander. We go out for essentials. Buy and get out as quickly as we can. So while there may be such things as bookstores who will spend hours in them among strangers these days? We are locked down again. Unless you live in the home you are not allowed to go into that home. There was a large bookstore Jim and I would frequent at a Shopping Mall. We'd do what we went there to do and then end up at the bookstore. They had a small cafe inside. Really just a long counter. You could buy coffee or other drinks, small pastries and even a sandwich or two. A very small menu but still it invited you to linger as you checked out some books. They had some comfy chairs with small tables here and there. People would smile at one another and even have brief chats over books. Good memories. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Durdle:) This post was edited by RosieG at December 10, 2020 1:46 AM MST
      December 10, 2020 1:44 AM MST