Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I wonder how many times in real life the bomb squad doesn't cut the right wire and they all get blown up? On screen they never do. Why?

I wonder how many times in real life the bomb squad doesn't cut the right wire and they all get blown up? On screen they never do. Why?

Posted - December 14, 2020

Responses

Generally, the person disarming the bomb has more experience than the person making the bomb ... and most bombs are made to kill/injure innocent civilians, rather than someone with military training in disarming bombs.

I never understood the amateur bomb makers using different colored wire.  If I were buying supplies to make a bomb, I'd save money and only buy one color of wire.  Of course, it would make it harder to keep track of what was going where - but temporary tape would easily solve that problem.
      December 14, 2020 1:39 PM MST

I wondered about the colors Walt. The wires are usually of varied colors and there is always one that's red but it isn't always the red wire that's the dangerous one. So I wondered if a villain couldm't? confuse by miscoloring the lethal wire? Now that may be a really dumb question since my experience with making bombs is nil. There is always a countdown clock ticking away the time. Everybody sweats. Just in time the right wire is cut with a second left on the timer. I think the stress would get them. Thank you for your reply! I wonder what the pay is for being on a bomb squad? Or driving a truck filled with explosives. Would you want such a job? I shall ask! :)
      December 15, 2020 2:51 AM MST

Most of the terrorists' weapons are probably very basic, too. Identify the battery or the detonator(s), cut either of the wires singly, and it's inert. The real difficulties are with land-mines, and the explosives packs worn by suicide-bombers. 

I suspect the complexity of the bombs in films is made up for dramatic effect anyway. 

Most conventional military bombs and artillery shells have impact detonators, working rather as in small-arms rounds, not electrical circuits; though they still need enormous care, patience and skill to render safe. Unexploded explosives and gas shells are still being found on the Western Front 100 years later, because the ground became so churned up the ordnance simply buried itself in mud soft enough not to trigger the percussion-cap. 

An interviewee I recall on the radio news around the time of the big East-West disarming treaties, explained that the easy part is physically dismantling the nuclear weapons: "just a matter of screwdrivers and spanners". One supposes the tools are used by people who know what they are doing.

'

The daftest fictional disarming I have watched was in a barmy sci-fi film I think called The Abyss. The bomb was nuclear, so a quite complicated weapon; but it was on the deep ocean floor where one would expect the pressure to have crushed the casing or at least overcome the weather-proofing seals; flooding it with salt water, shorting all the electrical parts, discharging the batteries and possibly dissolving the explosive charges that make the nuclear "fuel" ignite. But that would not be so dramatic, now would it... Our hero, equipped with world-saving wire-cutters, was carefully talked through it by his controller on the ship thousands of feet above - "Unscrew the cap... What colour wires can you see...?" Then "Cut the red one..., now the blue... " etc. I wondered if the colours would be clearly visible not only underwater, but illuminated only by torch-light in the pitch-blackness of the abyssal plain.   
      December 14, 2020 5:46 PM MST

See m'dear this is an excellent example of "ignorance is bliss". I saw that movie and none of those thoughts danced in my head as I watched. Not knowing always facilitates being awed! I would not want to give that up. No danger that I will ever have to do so. I know so little about so much I am always in a state of awe! Thank you for your informative and thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      December 15, 2020 3:27 AM MST