Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Dialing 911 used to bring help. All over the country we are being told not to rely on that any longer. Ever think that could happen?

Dialing 911 used to bring help. All over the country we are being told not to rely on that any longer. Ever think that could happen?

Posted - December 16, 2020

Responses

There's a book called Dial 911 and Die - that is published by JPFO.org
    It points out that, in most states, calling 911 doesn't legally give you any priority over calling the regular business number of police/fire/etc.
    It also points out that, according to numerous court cases, the police have no legal duty to protect you from crime - unless you are in custody, or have a "special relationship" with them.  IE: are an informant.

We recently had an instance in my home town, where a family called 911 because their father wandered off carrying a shotgun wrapped in a blanket.  He was known to have mental problems including senility.  He had done similar before, believing he was going hunting as he did in his teens.  The family told the dispatch that.  When the police showed up, he refused to drop the shotgun (which was still wrapped in a blanket) - and they wound up shooting and killing him.  They also fired over a dozen rounds into the house behind him.  Thankfully, nobody was home or they would likely have seriously injured or killed someone else.

Of course, not all police are bad or negligent ... but those instances where they are, and are not punished, say a lot about the system.
      December 16, 2020 7:00 AM MST

In April of 2019 Jim had a stroke and I called 911. The ambulance arrived in minutes. They did some testing and then put him on a stretcher and carried to the ambulance. Told us where they were taking him. I had called neighbors over and one offered to drive me to that emergency hospital. Whether I had a right to do it or not it was what I was taught to do early on. Others on our street did it too and always an ambulance arrived. You see in a retirement community where you must over 55 ambulances are part of the scenery. Sadly. I would not call 911 if someone tried to break into my house. Why would anyone? Makes no sense to me. I thought 911 was for an emergency that could be LIFE threatening. Anyway thank you for your reply Walt. We're lucky he didn't have a stroke yesterday. So we focus on what we have.
      December 16, 2020 7:10 AM MST

Yep ... Ambulance/Medics and Fire tend to be Johnny-on-the-Spot.
    Police are a different matter.
      December 16, 2020 11:14 AM MST

The only time I have ever called 911 was when Jim had his stroke in April 2019. A couple of times I called the police to report a break-in and they come in twos or used to. Anyway they showed up in a reasonable amount of time and were very polite/kind/helpful. One of the two showed up again the next time I called and he told me 'You really need to move from here". He told me that one block south of me there were very dangerous people involved with guns and drugs and all kinds of mayhem and since My 12 year old son lived with me too that very day I called work to say I wouldn't be in the next day. I looked for a place..safer...to move to and found one.  If Jim had to have a stroke I'm very glad it happened when it did. It's like knowing your safety net is gone and you have no idea what high wire you are going have walk on. Kinda creepy. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      December 17, 2020 5:35 AM MST

Still does where we live.  We support our police. 
      December 17, 2020 9:26 AM MST