Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Weather » Weather people keep calling the storm in the eastern part of the US a 'Nor-easter. It's not.

Weather people keep calling the storm in the eastern part of the US a 'Nor-easter. It's not.

Any idea why they are calling it that? This is a Nor-easter; they originate in the ocean.

Posted - December 16, 2020

Responses

Assumptions. 

Just the other day, I was watching a documentary that included a brief item about the subject‘s military history, and while the numerical designation of the unit was correct, the narrator referred to it as a “battalion”. It was not a battalion, it was a Regimental Combat Team, RCT. Danged civilians. Grrrrrrr. 

~

December 16, 2020 7:21 AM MST

I'm not a meteorologist, but I have known what a Nor-easter is for many years. Maybe they should watch the movie 'The Perfect Storm'. I just e-mailed my question to ABC. I wonder if they will change it.
      December 16, 2020 7:32 AM MST

Reporters and other media personnel have gotten very lax in both their facts and their spelling/grammar.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't find some major type or omission in a story in the newspaper - even on the Editorial page.  It's absolutely disgusting that there will be two or more bylines on a story yet none of the contributors bothered to check for mistakes.
      December 16, 2020 9:56 AM MST

And here I was thinking that I was one of the only people who thought that way! For quite some time now, I was considering posting a daily entry for the worst example of so-called “journalism” . . .
    ~

December 16, 2020 10:58 AM MST

Great idea. Let's do it. Our local reporters are idiots and will provide me with daily examples.
      December 16, 2020 2:04 PM MST

I have emailed the Daily News periodically about this to no avail.  People have sent letters to the editor which have been published by the paper, to no avail.  Someone in their layout department thinks that printing a block article with a black background and teensy weensy white type is a good idea.  It's totally unreadable, even with a magnifying glass!
      December 17, 2020 3:05 PM MST

Heard recently:

. . . the suspect, who was hiding inside the building, snuck up behind the security guard and absolutely shot him in the back, killing him . . . 

. . . showing that the United States is the best country in the nation . . .

December 17, 2020 4:53 PM MST

Now that's first class journalism!
      December 17, 2020 7:15 PM MST

Part of why I stopped reading/watching most news decades ago.
    I first thought that they were frustrated writers, who enjoyed leaving people with "cliff hanger" endings - by not following through on obvious questions raised by the story.
    Then I realized they were just lazy and unprofessional.

December 17, 2020 3:16 PM MST

I don't remember it being this bad before the pandemic.  I don't know if they've fired all their regular writers and hired some temporary five-year olds, but it's getting to be pretty annoying.  
      December 17, 2020 3:24 PM MST

What I'm reading says that there is a winter storm named Gail and when she gets into the Northeast she will become a nor-easter due to the temp of the coastal water being so warm.  When the winter storm combined with the warm coastal water is when it will happen.  That is from the Weather Channel.  I don't watch any broadcast news.  At all.
      December 16, 2020 2:23 PM MST

I have lived in the Northeast most of my life, and have learned the correct term is "Northeaster" which has nothing to do with where the storm originates but rather with the the backing around of the wind in a counter-clockwise direction as with many storms in any season here in New England. 
      December 17, 2020 7:43 PM MST

I don't think they're as sciency as they'd like people to think, maybe. 
      December 18, 2020 10:42 PM MST

Among my main beefs are radio presenters, archaeologists, musicians, art-critics and others who should know better, talking of a building's acoustic (singular, i.e. the adjective, when they mean acoustics, the noun), and of it being resonant. They really mean reverberant, of course, but should know that -  I wonder if they know the difference between echoes and reverberation, either. 

(A large room can be resonant, but at a few- or fractional- Hertz frequencies, and if a very large we might feel it as a breathing effect in a doorway. We would certainly not hear it in a way we would recognise as a sound.)

In somewhat similar vein, epicentre instead of centre - that attempt to sound clever by high-jacking a geology term can totally change the message from its intended meaning, suggesting the speaker does not really understand the subject either.  Mind you, often I doubt he or she does!

December 20, 2020 12:33 PM MST