Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Winter storm dropped more snow in parts of the northeast then all of last year's winter season". If true anyone know WHY?

"Winter storm dropped more snow in parts of the northeast then all of last year's winter season". If true anyone know WHY?

Posted - December 17, 2020

Responses

It's not at all unusual. Weather patterns change constantly. The East Coast has been hit with a lot of snow before. You might find this interesting to read.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/great-white-hurricane-of-1888/
      December 17, 2020 9:41 AM MST

It very well could be.

Now, you have to remember that the news loves sensationalism.  If one small remote spot received 1" of snow last year and 2" this year, they're going to play it up as if the entire region was buried in untold drifts of snow.  

As for the reason why... well, it's rather complicated.  Essentially, it depends on whether the Arctic Oscillation (AO), the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and the Southern Oscillations (ENSO) are +, -, or neutral, as well as how long they remain in that "position"  {You might know the ENSO by its other names - El Nino and La Nina.}  This determines where the high pressure ridges (fair weather) and low pressure troughs (stormy weather) will set up shop, as well as their strength, and how long they'll last.  This in turn determines how much snow the NE will get, as well as how much rain the West coast gets.  I know, blah, blah, blah....  

In a nutshell - winter 2019/2020 in the NE was warm, so they received more rain than snow. 
      December 17, 2020 1:35 PM MST

Thank you for your informative reply Shuhak. I don't know how you know this stuff but I thank you for sharing it with us. Isn't earth getting warmer due to Global Warming and isn't that not a very good thing? I mean the icebergs are melting more rapidly now that ever before. The ice sheets or whatever are melting and the bears that live there are finding it more difficult to find food. If earth gets too warm won't it be uninhabitable for living things? How hot is too hot? I don't know but when  it gets 115 in Hemet or 128 in Death Valley that's way too hot for me already.  I wonder if we had no such thing as air conditioning how many people would die?
      December 18, 2020 1:43 AM MST

Meteorology's my hobby.  

Yes, the earth is getting warmer, and no, it isn't good.

It's not so much "hot" hot (as in 118F, 128, 138F, ...), rather it's a few degrees (1, 3, 5, 6, ...) globally.  Extreme weather (very hot or very cold) is a result of global warming, not global warming in itself.  The earth will always be habitable (unless the sun goes nova, a asteroid hits it, and such)... just maybe not in the way it is now.    
      December 18, 2020 10:24 AM MST

The ocean waters are warming each year. Ice sheets and glaciers and icebergs are melting at a very fast rate. This cannot be a good thing. You say "earth will always be habitable"? How can you be so certain of that? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 19, 2020 11:32 AM MST
      December 19, 2020 11:15 AM MST

Because God said so.   

("Always be habitable" meaning until God destroys it along with the entire universe.)
      December 19, 2020 11:44 AM MST

It would have been helpful had you included that proviso. I agree. Until we are no more we will be. Profound or very simple? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 19, 2020 11:50 AM MST

But it was bigger than that. Where my brother lives, in upstate NY, they had 38", an all-time record.
      December 19, 2020 11:47 AM MST