Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How likely is it that the world will run out of potable water one day? What happens then if and when?

How likely is it that the world will run out of potable water one day? What happens then if and when?

Posted - December 20, 2020

Responses

If we don't take care of it, it's very likely.  

Oil, plastics, sewage, trash... these are just a few of the stuff we dump into our rivers and streams.  Many natural streams are piped underground and cities are built over them.  Runoff from these cities is flushed into storm drain, taking any oil and debris from the roads with it.  When the water finally emerges from the t pipe, it’s grossly polluted... and those pollutants continue on contaminating all other water they come into contact with along the way until they finally flow into the oceans.  Over-building and burying our trash (landfills) contaminates ground water (wells). 

For as much water as there is on this planet, potable water is becoming more precious than gold… and nearly as hard to find.

December 20, 2020 2:34 PM MST

Did you ever chat with Nice Jugs when she was here Shuhak? She is the one who brought that up to me a few years ago. She said the final war would be fought over water and my reaction was "how can that be possible" and she filled me on things I knew little or nothing about just as you have done here m'dear. We fight over oil and minerals and land. But ultimately besides air to breathe what is more necessary to life than water? Thank you for your helpful and informative reply. Once gone we can't make more. Right? We can't make more. :(
      December 21, 2020 5:15 AM MST

No I didn't chat with her, as we didn't quite "get along".  (viewpoints)

We can make more, it's just costly.  Filtering and desalination it is costly and time consuming, but possible.  In fact, many large cities already reuse/reclaim their sewage water; some to the point that it's actually drinkable.  I'm not saying they do drink it, just that they filter it that "pure". 

December 21, 2020 11:48 AM MST

Well I met her on Answerbag and we did have our moments early on but once we got here something changed and we were almost always on the same page thereafter. Anyway she disappeared without a word sometime in June of this year. I worry. I emailed her and got no response. We did not have a falling out so I can't imagine what happened to her. But I digress. So we can make more potable water out of ocean water? Isn't there a finite amount of water, salty or not? Do you think there will never be a time when we fight to the death for water? Nice Jugs seemed sure of it. It's a scary thought. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 22, 2020 1:46 AM MST

The earth itself won't run out of water.  Where's it going to go?
    There's a big desalination plant in Arabia.  They were supposed to be building a desalination plant somewhere by San Diego, but it may have gotten hung up in environmental bureaucracy.  Either Brown or Newsome wanted it for drought purposes.

People have been fighting to the death for water for thousands of years.  Will it get worse?  More than likely.
      December 22, 2020 10:29 AM MST

I wonder whether it will ever happen or where the wily bacteria/virus do us in before then? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 23, 2020 4:32 AM MST

Not likely...at least here.

This post was edited by Element 99 at December 21, 2020 1:53 AM MST
      December 20, 2020 7:17 PM MST

Once upon a time in the long ago our mutual friend D aka Nice Jugs and I had this conversation. She was the one who told me that she thought that would be the final battle.  For potable water. She did not say when or if. I had never considered that but what is more important to sustain life? Oil or water? I shall ask.. So thank you for your reply but when I it I immediately thought of her. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 21, 2020 5:58 AM MST
      December 21, 2020 1:56 AM MST

Water is more important. England does not have a huge supply of potable water...that's why her conversation.
      December 21, 2020 5:59 AM MST