Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you think you know less or more than you think you do? We can't KNOW what we don't know. Can we be sure we know what we know?

Do you think you know less or more than you think you do? We can't KNOW what we don't know. Can we be sure we know what we know?

Posted - December 20, 2020

Responses

We can't know what we don't know at this moment, but we can always learn.  

No, we can't be sure we know what we know.  Our brains can deceive us.

Would It surprise you to know that many of our memories didn't happen exactly the way we think we remember them?

Our brains have a lot to do - and do quickly - with only a little bit of power to use doing it (think powering the entire city of Las Vegas for a month on just one AAA battery).  To accomplish this, por brain takes "shortcuts".  One of these "shortcuts" is with our memories....

Our brains prune our memories.  In order to store vast amounts of information, our brains compress memories.  During the compression, some small details are removed to "save space" (such as a blue sky or a green tree - things that are relatively constant).  When the memory is recalled, the brain fills in the "missing" information with what's already known.  In other words, since the sky is always blue, saving 1 copy of that info is more efficient than saving it umpteen billion times.  Think of it like this - memories are stored in black and white, but when recalled, the brain adds color from what we already know  (the sky is always blue, trees are always green, etc.)  

Our brain doesn't have resources to fact check everything, so it's obliging.  If we tell ourselves something long enough, our brains will assume that it is.  For example, if we tell ourself a lie is a truth, eventually we will believe that lie is truth.  (trump is a good president…  trump is a good president...) 

So, what we think we know may not be actually be what we know...or even knew.

December 20, 2020 1:00 PM MST

I really like this reply Shuhak. It is very clear and logical to follow. So while we remember the incident we do not necessarily remember it EXACTLY as it occurred. So even if it is true that we never forget anything we ever experienced HOW we remember it is not rigid nor photographic. The older we get the more we experience the more we do this? Did you ever chat with OLD SCHOOL? He studied Cognitive Science at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu and got his degree. He was always telling me bits and pieces of how the brain works which I find infinitely fascinating if sometimes hard to grasp. It is said that we use very little of our brain capacity. What would it take to use ALL OF IT? I shall ask. Thank you and take care. STAY SAFE! This post was edited by RosieG at December 21, 2020 9:20 AM MST
      December 21, 2020 5:55 AM MST

The brain is very complicated.  Your first statement is true.   However, the second statement on how we never forget anything....  that's still up in the air.  While it's true that there's no such thing as a 100% eidetic memory (what many people refer to as "photographic"), I don't know if we  remember everything.  It's said that our dreams are the brain's way of "sorting out" the days intake of data.  It keeps irrelevant stuff and discards nonessential and/or redundant information.  (again, I don't know if this is true or not).

What I do know to be false is that "we use very little of our brain's capacity".  We use 100% of our brain and its capacity (assuming a healthy brain).  The thing is, the brain will add more capacity as needed.   It doesn't get physically bigger, it just ...!   I cant even start to explain that one. 
      December 21, 2020 11:33 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Shuhak. A lot depends on comprehension. Some don't have a clue what things mean or represent. Others do. It's a crapshoot I think, don't you? :)
      December 21, 2020 11:41 AM MST

I know everything,
      December 20, 2020 7:13 PM MST

You do? Well I'm going to message you because I am faced with a mystery and I'm not sure what my next move should be.SIGH. You know the actress Marilu Henner? She has the kind of mind that never forgets anything. Name a day and she will tell you what she was doing that day. I think there are a few others just like her and there is a name for that "talent". I think I would not want it. Imagine never being able to forget anything? Hurts disappointments? AARRGGHH. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      December 21, 2020 2:07 AM MST