Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I heard fireworks somewhere near here (Hemet, California) greeting the new year. Fireworks. Are you a fireworks appreciator?

I heard fireworks somewhere near here (Hemet, California) greeting the new year. Fireworks. Are you a fireworks appreciator?

In the second century in China the first "fireworks" are thought to have been born. They threw bamboo stalks into a fire and they would EXPLODE with a bang because of overheating of the hollow air pockets in the bamboo. The Modern colored fireworks are thought to have been invented in the 1830's in Europe.

In the 2016 US Census Bureau report $296.2 million worth of fireworks were imported to America from China.

98-99% of all fireworks purchased in the US are imported from China.

Apparently that is something else China can make better cheaper.

Posted - January 1, 2021

Responses

We had some residents in the 'hood shooting off fireworks a little before midnight and a little after and the again at 2:30 AM.  I'm ambivalent about fireworks, except I don't like the ones that ordinary people fire off - too dangerous.  Every year you hear about someone losing a finger, hand, eye or worse.
      January 1, 2021 7:32 AM MST

Exactly. When it is done by PROFESSIONALS at some gathering in a park or stadium that's one thing. Elsewise otherwise? Another thing homo saps do that proves they're persistently consistently inadequate.Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 1, 2021 10:10 AM MST

Nobody ever thinks that's going to happen to them until they lose an eye.
      January 1, 2021 2:21 PM MST

Very true. I think a lot of people are totally unaware of what goes on around them. Blind to it. Uninterested in it. Oblivious. And then BOOM! Sigh. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Day two of 2021! STAY SAFE! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 2, 2021 6:54 AM MST
      January 2, 2021 1:45 AM MST

Happy Day Two of the New Year to you. :)
      January 2, 2021 6:54 AM MST

Thank you L! :)
      January 2, 2021 6:55 AM MST

I like the fireworks in the sky (although they are a bit loud).  The "personal" ones..., well, they're just stupid.  Tons of smoke, horrific deafening noise, and maybe a brief flash.  Guaranteed to terrify pets and piss off your neighbors; all for the low price of $20-$40 a pop.
      January 1, 2021 10:05 AM MST

As a kid my sis and I did the SPARKLERS. My dad was way too smart to try anything else. I remember one year he took us to the COLISEUM in Los Angeles so we could watch a really nifty Fireworks Show and STAy SAFE! Hotdogs do otherwise and someimes lose parts of the bodies. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      January 1, 2021 10:12 AM MST