Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The act of condolencing is now front and center and will accelerate sad to say. What person have YOU known the longest?

The act of condolencing is now front and center and will accelerate sad to say. What person have YOU known the longest?

Our across-the-street neighbor's friend Gwen and she talked by phone almost every day for 60 years! You read that right. For 60 years. They shared a passion for "soap operas" and they would often be on the phone watching one and commenting on it.

Gwen's mom passed away about a week ago. She was in her 90's and went to the hospital. Covid. Last Friday Gwen passed away. Covid. She never went to the hospital.

So yesterday our neighbor friend Wilma informed us of that. I condolenced her but I mean what does that mean? So just be prepared m'dears for what is coming. Sigh.

Posted - January 4, 2021

Responses

My best friend and I met when we were 11 years old - 64 years ago - when we entered junior high school.  After graduating high school, she move out of New York, but we have maintained a close relationship over the years and I have visited her and her family wherever they were located.  We speak by phone frequently and email even more often.  I cannot imagine a time when she will not be part of my life.

Friends of shorter durations have passed.  In fact, there are more that have passed than have survived.  I guess that's what happens once you reach a certain age.  None, however, passed from Covid.
      January 4, 2021 6:09 AM MST

May it remain that way for you m'dear. California is facing it's greatest threat yet. I guess New York is better off if only that there aren't so many of you. Fingers crossed We will survive. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 4, 2021 9:08 AM MST

Yes, California is up to its neck in alligators.  Reading the paper this morning, NY is up a little past 9% now since Thanksgiving.  Probably will get worse after the Christmas rush.  They need to get moving on getting people vaccinated.  At this rate, it will be ten years by the time they get done.  
      January 4, 2021 9:56 AM MST

Here we are in August L and did you even ever imagine in your worst nightmares we'd be here? Me too neither! Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 24, 2021 6:29 AM MDT