Active Now

Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What, if anything, has INTRINSIC value? Isn't everything of value judged so by what humans IMPUTE to it? Or not?

What, if anything, has INTRINSIC value? Isn't everything of value judged so by what humans IMPUTE to it? Or not?

Posted - January 15, 2021

Responses

This has an intrinsic value of one dollar, but it could cost over $100,000 to purchase.

January 15, 2021 3:28 PM MST

Isn't the value of $1 what we ascribe to it therefore what we impute to it? It is just metal isn't it? Now what people are willing to pay for something is a separate issue. The jacket that Elvis Presley wore on stage. It has zero value to me but to a fan it could be priceless. Once again what we say it's value is has nothing to do with intrinsic value. Does it? Emotional value or sentimental value again is a separate issue. I have a postcard John Steinbeck wrote to me long ago in answer to a very lengthy letter I had written to him. I value it as priceless. See what I mean? It means nothing to you unless you are a Steinbeck fan as I am. Thank you for your reply E. Are you a coin collector perchance? This post was edited by RosieG at January 16, 2021 7:50 AM MST
      January 16, 2021 3:58 AM MST

I collected coins for more than 50 years. When my collections were filled, I split them up and gave them to my kids.
      January 16, 2021 7:51 AM MST

That was a very kind and loving thing to do. Are they collectors too? Were any of your finds very valuable? Anyway I think collecting something is a good thing to do. It gives you an outlet/interest in something ELSE beyond the daily grind of staying alive. Think there will ever be "bitcoin" collectors" Oh which is worth more eventually? Coin collections or stamp collections? Just wondering. Thank ou for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 16, 2021 7:54 AM MST
      January 16, 2021 7:54 AM MST