Active Now

Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Finally a despicable homo sap does one VERY GOOD THING. Do you give credit whre credit is due or do you refuse to? WHY?

Finally a despicable homo sap does one VERY GOOD THING. Do you give credit whre credit is due or do you refuse to? WHY?

Posted - January 16, 2021

Responses

Interesting question. :)  I tend to judge a person by the totality of their actions.  In most cases, I probably wouldn't condemn someone for one bad act or praise a really bad person for one good act.  Having said that, the example that came to mind with your question occurred during the Nazi era. 

As we all know, the Nazis performed horrid medical experiments on their captives.  Experiments that the average person would find so abhorrent as to not even want to know what they were.  However, much of what we know about medicine today is due to the results of those experiments.  The Nazis kept incredibly detailed documentation of what they did and the outcomes.  Because of those well-kept records, we have been able to save many lives. 

Does that excuse the rest of the unimaginable things they did?  No, it doesn't.  If asked, would I have permitted those experiments to be done, knowing the positive outcomes in the end?  No, and I don't think any sane, ethical and moral person would.  Am I grateful for the knowledge we gained from them?  Yes, but it was a result of twisted minds and complete disregard for human life and if the occasion for such experimentation arose again, would I condone it - no.
      January 16, 2021 9:06 AM MST

I know nothing about "positive outcomes". I have heard they made lampshades out of human skin. Beyond that what did they do for which we should thank them? I honestly don't know. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 16, 2021 10:34 AM MST

"In the 1920s, German scientists correctly picked up on x-rays as a possible source of genetic damage. In the same decade they also launched a huge campaign against tobacco."  

"A decade later, Nazi scientists identified the dangers of organochlorine pesticides such as DDT before anyone else, and launched campaigns to discourage alcoholism. German scientists of the period made the link between asbestos and lung cancer and developed the first high-powered electron microscope."
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2004/oct/14/thisweekssciencequestions.cancer

"Physicians at Ravensbrück conducted experiments in bone-grafting and tested newly developed sulfa https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/nazi-medical-experiments(sulfanilamide) drugs."

January 16, 2021 11:50 AM MST