Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » More good news! "The more contagious strain of COVID 19 could lead to a SPIKE in US cases in March." Just what we needed?

More good news! "The more contagious strain of COVID 19 could lead to a SPIKE in US cases in March." Just what we needed?

"The British variant could DOMINATE in the United States by March."

So then things will be getting progressively worse and then reach its peak in March?

Seems to me someone keeps moving that dam* goalpost. Doesn't it seem so to you too?

The rules keep changing as they stay the same. Nonsense or exactly what is happening?

Will there never be an end? Will we NEVER make a touchdown? Living with COVID 19 for the foreseeable future?

Who's up for that?

Posted - January 18, 2021

Responses

It's not necessarily a " British" variant simply because that's where a variant was first identified: the UK is among the world's best at gene identifying. The variant seen in Britain may have developed here, or it may have been brought to the British Isles from elsewhere. 

For it or a similar variant appeared in other European countries too, in South Africa and I think now Brazil. I don't know if anyone really knows where each variant starts, only where it is first identified.

These virii are not doing anything unusual and the one you have now might be "home grown" or it might have hitched a lift with someone crossing the Atlantic, as there is  nothing to stop any "nationality" of virus altering independently of any other.

The Coronavirus family mutates frequently, which is why it's never been possible to find a cure or vaccination for the common cold, and influenza vaccines need annual repeats. What matters is they and their effects are identified.

'
    The mass vaccination programme in the UK is about to start for the over-70s. It's been concentrating on over-80s so far.
      January 18, 2021 3:11 AM MST

Well good luck to your country and ours and all the others. We know where we want this buggy to go. We just keep breaking the axle or running out of gas or getting a flat tire. Thank you for your reply Durdle.
      January 18, 2021 1:58 PM MST