Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Weatherwise we're "in for it" today. "WINTER'S HEAVIEST RAIN SET FOR TODAY." Heavy rain set to batter. When it rains it pours?

Weatherwise we're "in for it" today. "WINTER'S HEAVIEST RAIN SET FOR TODAY." Heavy rain set to batter. When it rains it pours?

Possible flash flooding due to barren land caused by the string of endless wildfires we experienced. Mud slides too of course. Debris flows.

Well getting rain is a good thing. The delivery system predicted? Doesn't sound so good to me. Beggars can't be choosers.

Posted - January 28, 2021

Responses

Are you getting the winds too?  Around 10 pm Tuesday the CalTrans road map started lighting up like a christmas tree.  Downed trees were blocking roads  from the coast to the mountains.  Even the local Facebook emergency page was flooded with reports of downed trees and power outages.  The way the lights were flashing, I thought I'd lose power for sure.  (I was lucky and had power all night)

I'm sure the burn scars are having mudslides.  (They evacuated some of the areas around them before the rain hit... just in case.)  But this is oh so welcome!  Better rain than fires.  Its been raining steadily here since yesterday afternoon (occasionally a rain/snow mix).   I've recorded 3 inches of rain since 12:01 am Wednesday.   The snow started falling at 10 Tuesday night, then turned to rain around 1:30 wednesday morning... but not before dropping  5-6 inches on top of what was already here.  There's still a few traces of snow in my yard, but most has washed away. 

Enjoy the rain while you can, because it looks like were going back to a long dry spell starting around the middle of next week.
      January 28, 2021 11:02 AM MST

Here in Hemet right now (10:42 am Thursday) NO WIND AT ALL. Maybe it will come up when the storm comes in. Predicted to begin in L.A. this morning and get to us by afternoon sometime. We went out early and did the errands. Home now for however many days we need to be. BAD NEWS on the TV. The US is slated to be devastated by the South African strain that is now here in most all the states. The one that Dr. Fauci dreaded. Here now. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. STAY SAFE. It sounds ludicrous to say that. Apparently we are all in the crosshairs of the south african strain. Is this the way the world ends? This post was edited by RosieG at January 28, 2021 2:54 PM MST
      January 28, 2021 11:43 AM MST

Dry ground - the water runs straight off until enough has penetrated the soil to start it working like a sponge.

I read in the international news page of my local paper the awful news that a teenager was killed and others of his family were seriously injured by a tornado that destroyed their home in Alabama. Ironically they had been sheltering in the very place that should have protected them, the basement.
      January 28, 2021 4:27 PM MST

I read that too and saw photos of the devastation left behind. It is a battle we constantly fight and Mother Nature always wins. Thank you for your reply Durdle.
      January 29, 2021 1:45 AM MST