Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Possible side effects from second vaccine tolerable, doctors say." Want to know what a Dr. experienced after the second dose?

"Possible side effects from second vaccine tolerable, doctors say." Want to know what a Dr. experienced after the second dose?

After the second dose of Pfizer Dr. Nikita Patel spent that day on the couch.

She had chills and fatigue for about 24 hours.

Allegedly her experience isn't uncommon.

Here's some of the other side effects more common after the second injection

Pain at the injection site, tiredness, headaches, muscle pain, joint pain, fever

Similar warnings for the Moderna version. That second dose is the pits apparently comfortwise. WHY?

Would you think it more likely that the FIRST DOSE would have the worst side effects? Sure doesn't appeal to me.

Posted - January 31, 2021

Responses

Those advanced side effect wouldn't be more likely to occur after the first injection because it takes 12-14 days for the vaccine to begin to work.  By that time, you're close to getting the second one which then compounds the effects of the first.  
      January 31, 2021 10:29 AM MST

I knew the protective effects weren't immedate L but I did not know it took that many days to kick in. I wonder why that is? Do you know? It begs to ask another question which I shall so do. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday February 1, 2021! :)
      February 1, 2021 3:38 AM MST

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's because it takes the body that much time to build up the immunities.
      February 1, 2021 6:41 AM MST

That make sense. I guess with other shots whatever liquid is pumped doesn't need to build anything first before it can do its job. Like a Vitamin B injection for example. Or Cortisone to alleviate pain. It's pretty much instant. Thank you for your reply L!  I wonder if there will ever be a way to build up antibodies instantly?
      February 1, 2021 7:45 AM MST

Vitamin B and Cortisone are not anti-viral treatments, so they don't work on the immune system.
      February 1, 2021 7:58 AM MST

I know. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 2, 2021 2:35 AM MST

I know. I did not correlate the two for simultaneity/efficacy. It was simply for the fact that if you lack vitamin B an injection does the job. If you are in pain Cortisone similarly does the job. One shot. Sorry you mistook my reply. Thank you for your reply.
      July 10, 2021 10:44 AM MDT

My brother's wife got her second injection on Tuesday.  By Wednesday morning she had a high fever, muscle, aches, chills, dizziness, and was so tired that she could barely stand up.  By Friday morning she was 100% back to "normal".

All these symptoms are how the body fights off infections.  While these "side effects" are bad, they are also showing that the vaccine is working.  It invoked an immune response.  Once the body sees that the threat isn't real, it stops trying to fight and one feels better.

The second injection is the more likely to induce an immune response, as it's a booster ...bringing the body's immune system up to "maximum"(?) efficiency against the COVID virus.  Unfortunately, some people's bodies aren't able to handle this rapid "boost" (especially frail people).  Not everyone experiences "side effects", or at the same intensity.  It kind of depends on how their immune system is to start with.

Pain at the injection site is to be expected, as the shot is going into muscle.  (remember tetanus shots?  Ouch!).  It may be possible to reduce this by relaxing the muscle prior to and during injection (I'm not sure on this, but it works for other sots).
      January 31, 2021 11:50 AM MST

No matter what kind of shot I get I have a sore arm for a couple of days. No biggie. It's those other things I don't want to experience. Kaiser notified us that it will notify us when they have vaccines available for us. I'm gonna wait for the one-shot one if I can. I'll check with my doc first of course. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and the information you provided to me. I appreciate it! :)
      February 1, 2021 3:41 AM MST

The key to reducing soreness in your arm is to learn to relax it.  You can practice anytime.   Just let your arm go limp.  Don't hold any tension is the shoulder muscle (the injection site).  It may not stop the pain 100%, but it can significantly reduce it.  When people are about to get a shot, their typical reaction is to tense up (the fight or flight response).  This tightens the muscle fibers, which means there are more of them to bruise.   Plus it keeps your mind off what's going on.

February 1, 2021 11:16 AM MST

The more I hear about the Johnson & Johnson one shot vaccine the more I like it. All we need it to do is protect us from getting the WORST of it. Keeps us out of the ICU and off ventilators. If the protection is 72% that is quite good enough for me. I don't NEED 95%. I won't mind feeling some symptoms. One shot. No booster. Let it ride. That's how I feel right now. Of course we will go with what our doctor prescribes when that time comes. I wonder how many variants any virus can more into? Is it endless or limited? I'll ask. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! I don't mind having a sore arm. Jim's arm never gets sore. It's not really a problem for me! :)
      February 2, 2021 2:25 AM MST