Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » WHITE PRIVILEGE underming vaccine equity? Ya don't say? The rich get their vaccines first while the poor wait? YA DON'T SAY?

WHITE PRIVILEGE underming vaccine equity? Ya don't say? The rich get their vaccines first while the poor wait? YA DON'T SAY?

Posted - February 3, 2021

Responses

Is anyone really surprised? 

The idiom rings true -  Everyone has their price.  And the wealthy are able to meet that price.  Fair?  When it comes to money there is no "fair".  People will do anything for money.  Even the most "saintly" person can be tempted by money (despite what they may think).  

However, in this case, bribing ones way to the front of the line may not be the smartest move.  The long term effects of this vaccine aren't 100% known.  By being first, one may (or may not) experience undesirable results, which the vaccine makers can then "fix" for others.  Besides, contrary to many people's belief, being vaccinated will NOT make things instantly go back to "normal".
      February 3, 2021 11:02 AM MST

I'm the opposite of wanting to be the first one on the block to try to have to experience to buy. I like to wait until the bugs shake out which takes time. Let others be the guinea pigs. I am in no rush to fall on the sword or bite the bullet. Once upon a time I volunteered for it! A two year FDA study. Of course I didn't know if I were getting the drug or a placebo. It was a double blind test and only after it was done I found out I was given the placebo. It was a study on Calcitonin...a bone strengthening drug to combat osteoporosis. After the two years the lead doc took me aside and told me I needed to start taking hormones. I had lost bone during the two years. Now she told me but you never find out so she broke protocol which I appreciated at the time. I was on FOSAMAX for years. I don't know what would have happened had I been given the Calcitonin. Other than volunteering for that I'll wait as long as I can. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      February 7, 2021 11:14 AM MST

The hospital called up Wednesday and told my mom she needed to schedule her COVID shot.  She got the vaccine on Thursday.  Extremely unexpected.
      February 7, 2021 11:20 AM MST

Wow! That's GREAT! Any side effects yet? Wow! I bet you and your sis are relieved about that! Am I older than your mom? I think maybe I am. I'm with Kaiser and just waiting for their lead. Thanks for the info. I think she's the first person I know (well know of) who actually got it. :)
      February 7, 2021 11:23 AM MST

So far just a very sore arm (she likened it to an old tetanus shot).  

I wasn't even aware that this county had gotten any vaccine.  Then to have it at the hospital and not some clinic.... totally unexpected.  
      February 7, 2021 11:37 AM MST

From what you have been through where you live since this pandemic thingy began you DESERVE all the good luck you get. I'm really glad to hear that things seem to be slowly breaking in favor of we the people. Still a long way to go but well it is light we see at the end of the tunnel and not a freight train so that's a good thing! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      February 7, 2021 11:39 AM MST

Not a surprise...but that is not white privilege. That is CLASS privilege. 
      February 3, 2021 1:25 PM MST